The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For your leather boots. How many use it and do you like it? Does it keep your feet dry?
Do you follow the directions when applying, (heat boots to 120°, 130° before applying), I did mine a few weeks ago and it's worn off already, I used a hair dryer on them but I don't think I got them hot enough.
Thoughts, experience?

·
Registered
24,739 Posts
I use it..Brush the boots off. apply liberally, then hit it with a hair dryer, then put another light coat on and melt that in.. I've used it a good number of years. Just did all my leather boots beginning of this month.

Works for me but mainly I'm in rubber boots when I want my feet to stay dry.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Get the boots hot enough, should last all season. Whats on the outside may wear off but what is absorbed should last. Are your feet getting wet? Works well.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Love the stuff!!!!! Yes, heat the boots with a hair dryer, rub it on and work it in and then heat them again and finish with another light coat and wipe off any excess (or leave it on.)

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I have used it and still do sometimes. Always heat my boots in the oven set to 120 then apply.

Like you, I find it wears off quickly and my feet get wet, especially when busting brush.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
I have used SnoSeal for thirty years. Put my boots on top the radiator to warm up. Then rub the stuff in and back to warm up and a second treatment. So seal won't totally prevent the leather from getting soggy, especially if out working in wet snow or slush for several hours.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I did the oven thing, seemed to work well. Went out today walking in mud and water and feet are dry.

·
Registered
12,654 Posts
I like sno seal for keeping the leather supple, but it definitely doesn`t replace gore tex. I use it in combination with gore tex and thinsulate.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
octagon said:
I like sno seal for keeping the leather supple, but it definitely doesn`t replace gore tex. I use it in combination with gore tex and thinsulate.
Yep, I always say, if it ain't GoreTex it ain't waterproof.

·
Registered
626 Posts
When i used sno seal, i did the over heat up and then rubbed in, always did two coats. Now i use Red Wings all natural boot dressing, it consists of bee wax, mink oil, and pine pitch. I still preheat in the oven to open up the pores in the leather so it takes the dressing better. But since i swithed to this stuff I wont use anything else. Ill be honest though i still jave a can of sno seal in the cabnet just in case i run out of the Red Wing all natural.

·
Banned
851 Posts
I use it. Usually apply it once a year to hunting boots.

I don't really think you can expect any product to completely be waterproof when walking through water with leather. Wet brush is one thing but inches of water is better suited for rubber boots IMO.

·
Registered
195 Posts
obenaufs is by far the best i have ever used.I usually treat my leather boots 2-3 times per season,depending on how badly my boots get beat up.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I've used it also. I like to put my boots on my Peet dryer for an hour or so before applying. I still use the hair dryer to work it in, then set them back on the Peet for a few hours afterwards.

I'm going to try a product called Hubert's in the spring. I've been hearing lots of good things about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts