The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assigned to come up with a project of my choice about physics, i chose to do a project on the mathmatics snipers have to do while in the feild.

I figured i could get on here and ask you guys about this, What all factors are calculated in while making a very far shot?? Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Go to one of the manufacturers web sites, like Leupold and get the booklet that comes with a mil-dot scope. Great place to start.

You might also consider writing computer a program for calculating ballistic trajectories; Using basic physics and free body diagrams.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Sounds like a fun project.

Here is some things to start:

Range
Wind Speed (could vary at multiple distances)
Wind Direction (could vary at multiple distances)
Shot Angle (degrees up or down)
Coriolis Effect
Altitude (effect on velocity)
Temperature (effect on velocity)
Bullet Drop (with all above factors taken into effect)

Target Velocity (for moving targets)

Not to mention they have to be very proficient behind their rifle and know the proper techniques.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The way schools feel about firearms are you sure they will let you present that project after all the work you put into it?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
John S said:
The way schools feel about firearms are you sure they will let you present that project after all the work you put into it?
I agree. Why not pass it off as a long range target shooting project based on a well know shooting match like Wimbledon. Even that might not be acceptable knowing how schools react to anything involving firearms but it would be a better topic than sniping and you would still be able to use the same formulas.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I graduated HS 8 years ago, and my senior year I took a military history class in which I presented about the M24 Sniper Weapon System. We also had an outdoor education course where we learned white-tailed deer biology and hunting strategies, and went fishing on a field trip.

If the OP stays PC it should be fine. "Target" instead of "person", and "hit" instead of "kill" or even "neutralize" and it should be fine.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
For my English class my junior year of high school, we had to do a demonstration speech. I made a dirthole set on the football field. In college, I had a similar assignment but for that, I completely dissasembled, cleaned and reassembled an 870 shotgun. Ah, the good old days. I for one think your topic rocks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts