The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a first for me, but I've only been snaring here in PA for 2 yrs. I went to check my sets today and it appears I had a coyote on since early morning( from sign and tracks he left me), I didn't check them until I got done work tonight. But some how he got out, my anchor held good but the cable was kinked up in a couple of places. Has this happened to anyone.... and can I prevent this from happening again. Or does this just happen from time to time. From the size of track he left in snow it was a little bigger than average for this area.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would add another swivel and check them when you can but if you Check in the a.m. It's better. Night critters don't like feeling vonerable in daylight and will start to fight the trap more

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does the swivel make them from backing out, thanks for the replies. I will attach another one and see what happens. Thanks again!

·
Registered
749 Posts
elkie said:
This was a first for me, but I've only been snaring here in PA for 2 yrs. I went to check my sets today and it appears I had a coyote on since early morning( from sign and tracks he left me), I didn't check them until I got done work tonight. But some how he got out, my anchor held good but the cable was kinked up in a couple of places. Has this happened to anyone.... and can I prevent this from happening again. Or does this just happen from time to time. From the size of track he left in snow it was a little bigger than average for this area.
your post is stating that he got out of the CR...which means he fought the CR...when a coyote is in a CR a swivel will keep him from untwisting the cable as fast....if he is not triggering your CR you have different problems...such as too slow of a CR or scent on the snare or surronding area etc...

·
Registered
640 Posts
was the cable still all together and was the loop closed all the way, if not the lock might have caught on something on the cable, and the coyote fought it for awhile and when he finally stopped or moved the right way he got out,

need more details.

Dan

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was still open about 6", but had 2 major kinks in it. The rest of cable was in tack. My anchor held great. I had a full circle and it was torn up with the snow packed down like ice. Also when he got out the tracks didn't show like he was running to get out of there.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts