The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Snap swivel & jigs?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  .257 
#1 ·
I have never been crappie fishing before & want to try this spring. Is it ok to attach a jig to a snap swivel. The swivel would make it a lot easier to switch to other jigs or whatever. Trying to get away from cutting line every time I want to change jigs. Another thought, a small ring like guys use in flu fishing to tie fillet to leader, then just change when needed. Any advice is welcome.

#2 ·
IMO you will catch more fishing tying jig directly to line. Of course, you lose the convenience of changing lures quickly but may not need to as often without a swivel!:smile2: In addition...depending on how you work the jig a swivel will take away some of the lure action in the water.

#4 ·
Spring crappie are a lot of fun.
I always tie the line directly to the jighook eye, but making certain to have the nott pulled toward the hook bend. Doing this gives a better presentation whether you fish it for suspended crappies after the spawn in deeper water, or in the springtime shallow water under a float.

#8 · (Edited)
I agree with this because if you slide the knot on the eye it causes the jig to hang horizontally which is more natural. A snap swivel lets the jig hang in an unnatural presentation, more of a vertical look. It makes a big difference if the crappie are being finicky. I also like to tip my jigs with a crappie nibble. It seems that they hang onto the jig just a little longer which means more hookups. Crappie fishing is my #1 favorite.

#5 ·
Depending...…..on how lazy I feel sometimes I use just a small snap, no swivel. I do think I get better hookups when tied directly to the line. I can feel light taps and hits better when tied directly.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Retired from PFBC since 2011. We used to set trap nets for northern pike in the lagoons at Presque Isle as soon as ice was gone. I remember how many crappies & bluegill we used to get in the spring. Don't trap net anymore because of VHS disease & not wanting to spread it. Hopefully I will be able to catch a few. Will let you know how I do

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.