The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have about 4 Gardner snakes at camp. Ones that I have seen anyway. One living in the fire pit stones and others in the yard. How do you get rid of them besides killing them? Just worried about the grandkids coming up and getting bit.

·
Registered
731 Posts
When there food source goes away they will leave also.This time of year at my cabin in northern Potter we get baby frogs from a near by stream through out out yard and we will see several garter snakes each visit for the next couple of weeks but once the frogs disappear so will the snakes.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
No way to get rid of them. If you're worried about them getting bit by a garter snake I'd be focusing my efforts more on mosquitos, black flies and spiders. I'd rather get bit by a garter snake than any of those three. Garters don't feel like anything and don't even leave a mark. They just don't bite for no reason either so as long as they don't try and pick them up they won't get bit.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Bearklr said:
No way to get rid of them. If you're worried about them getting bit by a garter snake I'd be focusing my efforts more on mosquitos, black flies and spiders. I'd rather get bit by a garter snake than any of those three. Garters don't feel like anything and don't even leave a mark. They just don't bite for no reason either so as long as they don't try and pick them up they won't get bit.
It's important to remember that when a Garter snake bites - do NOT yank it off because them tiny sharp teeth point backwards and pulling the snake off will not only harm a beneficial critter but cause some remarkable unintended consequences to the appendage the snake has latched onto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I guess we will just leave well enough alone, and the kids will just have to look out where they go. I will give them squatters rights. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have close to 30 cords of wood split and stacked here at my house. They chipmunks love it and so do the garters. We have a lot of them here. Not a day goes by that multiple snakes aren't spotted. They don't bother us we don't bother them. The kids are used to them and just leave them alone. Just tell your grand kids to keep a eye out and don't poke and prod at them and all is well.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
jimsdad said:
Bearklr said:
It's important to remember that when a Garter snake bites - do NOT yank it off because them tiny sharp teeth point backwards and pulling the snake off will not only harm a beneficial critter but cause some remarkable unintended consequences to the appendage the snake has latched onto.
I've been bitten by about 30 garter snakes and never had one latch on. Most strike and recoil immediately. Only larger snakes such as blacks or my boas have maintained a grip. Oh, and water snake...nothing meaner than a water snake.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I kill every snake that comes near my place, they don't seem to come back.
To all you snake lovers, sorry if I offend you, but the wife is paranoid of snakes....and I just simply hate them.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
buzz said:
I kill every snake that comes near my place, they don't seem to come back.
To all you snake lovers, sorry if I offend you, but the wife is paranoid of snakes....and I just simply hate them.
My wife is deathly afraid of sharks, won't even look at them. I ride around blowing them up when we go to the outerbanks.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
GS Mom said:
Have about 4 Gardner snakes at camp. Ones that I have seen anyway. One living in the fire pit stones and others in the yard. How do you get rid of them besides killing them? Just worried about the grandkids coming up and getting bit.
If you have them in an enclosed space - crawlspace, shed, etc,,,

moth balls will deter them from visiting...

Outside - I'd just leave them alone - rodent control....

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Have a black rat snake living in my woodpile. I understand he will keep the rattlers away. He likes to lounge on the wall and watch what I'm doing.

Had the good luck to watch him put the death grip on a chipmunk and swallow it. All in less than five minutes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Since we are on the topic. Saw this fella slithering around the top of the mountain near my camp in Potter County two weeks ago. I'm not good with identifying snakes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I can't believe " outdoors people " are worried about garter snakes, basically harmless , have them ( and black, ringneck , rattlers) at camp and at home, great way of keeping the insect (ants ,flies, bugs ) under control. Black snakes are great for mice , although I could see how a 4' or 5' black snake could surprise women or youngsters , once again harmless.
Rattlers , ok get rid of them , especially with kids and pets around.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.