The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are nearing the half way point of the season, so let's get some pictures going.. We have had a tremendous year so far for finding snakes but not any big ones yet. But with the long weekend coming up i'm hoping we get into some of them. Here are a few pics from the first couple weeks

And this is just a great view, one of the other great things we find when we are out stomping around. Watch your step around places like this tho.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Cool pic's!

Personally Id rather pet a grizzly bear then be within 25' of ANY snake. Dont know how you guys do it.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Not a snake fan but I appreciate what you guys do. That pic of the mountains reminds me of why I love Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
ditto........click click BOOM

Tony300wby said:
Cool pic's!

Personally Id rather pet a grizzly bear then be within 25' of ANY snake. Dont know how you guys do it.

Good luck, Tony

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
Not that I want to catch any but can we assume Elk,County?

My camp is in the Hallton area, lots of snakes around from what they say but I have never seen one but I avoid areas I think they may be.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. We mostly spend our time in elk and cameron because our camp is right on the border of the two. But we see often in clearfield county as well. Andsometimes Clinton. We did do some hunting around Halton once before but dont really know the area enough to get into them. But I have also heard there are some good pockets over that way

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Awesome pictures!

I'm with the other guys, I'd rather not run into one, but really cool regardless.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Nice pic's, thanks for sharing. Do you eat them? They are tasty. I ate snake once when I was in Vietnam back in 1968, a Vietnamese family invited me for dinner. The meat dipped in a sauce was tasty, I ask what it was, when they said snake I darn near spit it out, but it was surprisingly good...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have tried it a couple times, and it was okay, but not good enough for me to keep killing them. Maybe if I had a better recipe i would try it again. We are lawfully aloud to take 1 male rattlesnake 42" in length or greater per year, but we havent kept one in about 3 or 4 years.

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
Nice ones!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I only got out once for rattlers. Surprisingly it was right close to you on the elk and cameron county border! I caught 39 and saw 45 total that day. Found a rattle with 9 rattles just laying on a rock too. That is an above average spot though. Most were between 36 and I'd guess around 45 inch. I'm not keeping anything under 50. I won't be able to get back out till next week due to work. Hopefully I will hit the 50 mark then.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was that on the first day of the season, when you found all of those snakes, every group we talked to this year on the first day was having a day like that. We also had our best day ever on the first day.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No second week. I was in mexico the first week. Heading back next friday. Then the following week too. Gonna hit somerset next weekend also

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
How do you like those scentblocker diamondback gaiters? I just bought 2 sets for me and the wife. I've never wore anything other than brush pants.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Years ago, as kid, I was on a semi-guided Canadian black bear hunt with my stepdad and a couple others. We stayed in a cabin on the Miramachi River and cooked for ourselves. One of the guys with us was from Louisiana and his supper meal he brought was a big ol' pot of authentic Jambalaya made with snapping turtle and rattlesnake. I loved it, had seconds and then ate it for lunch the next two days!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like these gaiters, because they have held up really well for being a few years old, and being only 30 dollars or so. Everyone in our group uses them, and really haven't had any complaints.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
To me , gaiters are a Must Have item ! We bought the Hip Wader length years ago when I first got the itch for hunting rattlers . They really give you confidence when your in venomous snake territory .

1 - 20 of 59 Posts