The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this snake in Delaware County back in the fall. He was very eager to strike toward my son and I, and we both thought his head was very triangular. Needless to say, we gave him a wide berth since we aren’t good with snake ID. We’ve been wondering what type of snake he was. We actually saw his twin about a 1/4 mile down the trail.
59E23757-7D6E-4EBD-AC24-B87A6AC79FEA.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, was hoping it wasn’t poisonous. Now, I don’t have to let my son go down the trail first and beat me to the fishing spots! Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Definitely a garter snake, in defensive pose.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Well I'll be darned. Garter Snake! Never to old to learn. I ran into one last spring. Knew it wasn't poisonous but couldn't figure out what kind of snake it was. Much more aggressive than the standard garter snakes around here. Well now I know. Thank you HPA.

·
Registered
10,974 Posts
Well I'll be darned. Garter Snake! Never to old to learn. I ran into one last spring. Knew it wasn't poisonous but couldn't figure out what kind of snake it was. Much more aggressive than the standard garter snakes around here. Well now I know. Thank you HPA.
Yeah, new one on me, I've never seen one like that. The garter snakes around here are the standard variety with body length stripes. When I look up checkered garter snakes, all I find is that they are mostly a south western US snake, not a Pennsylvania species. Also that it is easy to tame and is sold in the pet trade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts