The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im itchin for a smoothbore flinter in a baddd way...

spring turkey is my main objective...but id also love to carry it for small game...and wouldnt mind being able to shoot patch n balls for deer if practical...

id kinda like a kit...id like to atleast finish the stock myself...i can install locks and hardware as long as its inletted close to being final...i can do minor inletting...figure i can brown the barrel or have it blued if i wanted...

i just dont want a bare stock and a ton of gunsmith bills...but would like to do the finishing if possible...

what caliber am i looking for??

what about barrel length??

should i go with a "fowler" or will any smoothbore be as good as the next??

ive found "early rustic arms" and seems like a good place for what im looking for...but most his stuff arent fowlers..most are smooth bore rifles..but i dont know if it matters...dont know the difference between a fowler and rifle..he does say that clover leaf groups are typical from his barrels at...25yds i believe...definitely sounds like i could deer hunt with one..

although spring turkey is the main objective...id definitely like it to be practical for small game and deer hunting as well...even if i gotta put different sights on for deer or whatever...

thoughts?? anyone know where and what i should start lookin for??

a smooth bore is a pretty simple rifle..a good flintlock, a stock and a smoothbore and im there...just dont know where to start looking or what fits my bill...or if i can fit my bill or gotta change what im looking for...

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
A smooth rifle is usually a rifle without rifling. Sounds kind of goofy, but they have heavy rifle barrels and both front and rear sights, and are often a smaller bore than a gun fit for shot.

A fowler is much lighter for wing shooting and generally has only a front bead. barrel thickness for the forward half of the barrel is usually thin like modern shotguns.

In the middle are smoothbores. Slightly heavier barrel thickness than the fowlers, sometimes shorter. It was the weapon of many colonists. Fast loading, could fire patched ball, buckshot, or fine shot (and sometimes a combination)

I have an older North Star smoothbore built when Curley had the company. I think it is first rate. Balances great, lock was tuned and fast. It is 24 ga, ie 58 caliber. I do shot patched balls from it as well as shot, depending on the season. North Star is now called North Star West and is still in business under a different owner. I think they make guns from 24 ga, 20, 16 and 12 ga's

No one makes an inexpensive entry level production smooth bore in flint that I am aware of. Middlesex village trade company may have something. Their guns look good, but the prices seem too good to be true. (Made in India, I think)

A Brown Bess repro will fill the bill and serve dual duty for reenacting if you ever get the desire, but would be a little heavy and unbalanced for wing shooting.

Since you are going to have some money and valuable time invested, I suggest you make the pilgrimage to consult with the Great Dixon and handle a few guns. He doesn't sell all that's available, but you can get an idea. There's many builders here in PA who can make a great gun for you. Brad Emig at Cabin Creek in Hellam PA, for one.

Some builders specialize in historically correct copies, which may not be exactly what you are looking for.

If you can get to one of the rendezvous, you will see a great many smoothbores, ask and inquire, see if you can shoulder the gun. That is the best way to evaluate the prospective candidates.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
coppers town trading post has a beautiful smooth bore for sale not sure of the price but nodelt top of the line parts and barrle

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am quite pleased with the fowler "kit" I put together from Cabin Creek a couple of years ago. It's a .62 caliber (20gauge). I also wanted to be able to shoot roundballs, so I chose not to get it jug choked. It throws roundballs very accurately at 50 yards. The lack of choke has its limitations though....I spent a lot of time patterning and trying different load/wad combinations to get the best patterns I could. I am now confident out to 27 to 30 yards MAX for turkeys, and I can live with that.
Cabin Creek Colonial American Fowler

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx alot guys!! appreciate the info!!!

mccoy, thats a beauty!! and 50yds with roundballs...thats awesome...i wasnt expecting near that with a smoothbore...

what work did the kit require??? just dont wanna get myself in over my head like i said...really like the style of your rifle...

27-30yds for turkey...thats great...i was expecting MAYBE 20yds...i know if i shot my cylinder bored 12ga, i wouldnt have a turkey killin pattern past 20 or so...but, thats the beauty of a muzzleloader...i can easily play with loads, wads, charges etc....

the pheasant pic just sparked a fire...thats AWESOME!! might even the playing field when i grouse hunt with my buddies! took them like 6-7 years to get a grouse with me...meanwhile ive killed my limit most of our trips when they are flushing decent and the birds are there...they might help pay for it!!! price aint bad either!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks for the compliments! As for the work required, Brad's kits require about the same as Chambers'. Final inletting of all brass parts, barrel, breech, and tang...drilling of all pin holes, drilling and tapping lock screws and tang/trigger plate screws. Then there is the final shaping and sanding and finishing. I highly recommend that you first get a copy of Chuck Dixon's book, The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle, and read it before purchasing a kit. This book will guide you through all of the necessary steps, and it's great!
As for the roundball accuracy, I really think that smooth barrel and tight patch/ball combo would stick 'em all in the same hole at 50 yards....if only I would do my part! lol

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
some builders will sell you a kit that is a bag of parts and a plank, some will sell you a pre-inlet kit, where the final fiting must be done. Some will sell you a gun "in the white" all inlet and functioning, but needing what eveer finishing and personalization you want, and lastly the finished gun.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Beautiful job on that fowler, McCoy!

Being a lefty, my fowler kit from Brad required me to inlet the lock and sideplate in addition to the other steps you outlined. I haven't had mine to the range enough to comment on its roundball accuracy yet. I did pattern it for turkey loads, and being a 24 gauge, a gobbler will need to be inside of 25 yards!

I've never used decoys, but I may need to rethink that option. Again, that longgun is a beauty!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
Beautiful job on that fowler, McCoy!

Being a lefty, my fowler kit from Brad required me to inlet the lock and sideplate in addition to the other steps you outlined. I haven't had mine to the range enough to comment on its roundball accuracy yet. I did pattern it for turkey loads, and being a 24 gauge, a gobbler will need to be inside of 25 yards!

I've never used decoys, but I may need to rethink that option. Again, that longgun is a beauty!
DITTO THAT!!!

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Brad will sell you a gun in the white with all you have to do is put a finish on the metal and barrel and slap it together.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanx for the info!!

id say for my first, i better go with in the white...im not completely incapable..alot of it comes down to the lack of tools more than anything...we'll see when the time comes...which could be soon or could be a while...ive wanted one a longggg time...just gotta get moved up the priority list! after buying a truck, most everything is still on the priority list lol...but thats life..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am probably planning in about a year or so. Many things are going to change in my world in the next few months. New job and a move to the St College area

·
Registered
731 Posts
mauser06 said:
...im not completely incapable..alot of it comes down to the lack of tools more than anything...
I'm not that capable either...I just get out the big hammer!

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
When I worked on fishing boats, the boss' two favorite tools were the IMPACT WRENCH (8lb sledge) and the fire wrench (blow torch) (The torque wrench was a long piece of pipe he slipped over the wrench to get extra leverage)

No as to finer tools, it doesn't take a huge array of tools to inlet and finish a gun. However, having a few really good tools makes a huge difference. A good set of small carving tools can be easily $100. And fine emery cloth can be hard to find.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I 100% agree with you zimmerstutzen, not a lot of tools required, but you need quality tools. Chisels that won't hold an edge are the worst! Good chisels and good files are a must, and I do like a certain round rasp I have.....

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Biggest finest hammer is right everyone has hammmers, but you only have one that is your biggest and finest

1 - 20 of 29 Posts