The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that hunt turkeys with a smoothbore, can you shed a little light on what your load is. Shot size, powder charge, patterns, and effective range , etc.
Going to be hunting this year with a 62 cal smooth bore with a 40 inch barrel and I am going to be trying to work up a good load. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
its been a number of years since I have used my .62 trade gun for turkey. I shot several using 70 gr of 3f with a cardboard wad over the powder, a AA plastic wad and 2 oz of #6, #7 1/2 and #4 shot mixed, with a over the shot card. also have used #6 copper buffered plated shot. the next time I use it I will buy a box of 3" 20 ga federal heavy shot and use the wad and shot from one of them. I have played with many combinations of wads and loads to get the patterns where I wanted. 410er on here, can probably help you out also.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The procedure for smoothbore turkey loads listed in this Caywood Guns article was the ticket for me:

Working up turkey loads

I was having all manner of fits with donut patterns and otherwise erratic patterns using traditional, thick, overpowder cushion wads. When I switched to using *overshot* cards stacked over the powder and shot in the manner described in the article, along with using the recommended corn muffin mix as a shot buffer, things improved immediately.

My personal .62 cal load used to kill a bird this past spring consisted of:

- 70 gr. FFg Goex powder
- Uncontained 1+1/8 oz. of #7.5 chilled lead shot poured directly into the barrel
- Shot volume-matched corn muffin mix over top of the shot load

The end result is in the first half of the video below:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts