Registered
2,126 Posts
I have about 25 of 3 or 4 different kinds
they all shoot a bit different
depends which ones your gun likes

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
i shoot brenneke KO's out of my smoothbore gun. devastating, to say the least. and if im driving nasty stuff, i will shoot cheap sluggers.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what type of range/group are you talking. I cant seem to get inside 8" with a rifled choke...so Im trying a completely smooth bore barrel now. But id rather not go through $75 in ammo again. This is not for monday by the way. haha.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would loose the rifled choke if I were you. I would just use the mod or improved cylinder that you have.

From my very limite field trials sluggers should do ya fine in woods ranges (up to 50 yards at most). After that you will need to experiment some.

Both my slug barrels are rifled. Kinda wish my barrel with open sights had a smooth bore as it would fill the need I have for an open sighted shotgun. I will have to shoot high $$$$ sabots from it.

Hate to say it but you will have to burn some powder out the big guy to know. I'm guessing you already knew that?

The biggest thing is the type of sights on your gun. I started hunting with a smoothbore with a bead sight. Dad wouldn't even let me see where it would shoot as he said it didn't matter with my setup. As much as I love my dad he was wrong.

Nothing wrong with sights you clip on the vent rib shooting slugs. will work fine at woods ranges.

I would buy several different brands to start out with. All I can say about that is to go to a place that sells them, and buy a few boxes.

BTW, my brother shot a nice 8 point in self defence with my original setup with sluggers in a 20 gauge. That's a funny story for a different post though.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
brenneke KO 3inch mags, best slug on the market, for smooth and rifled barrels and no track job required.

also Id like to add cheap slugs will do the job also, my brother and I have both harvested deer with one shot with cheap federals and remingtons in 20 gauges.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The black magic mags 3" Seem to be the ticket out of my gun. I shoot several magnum rifles on a frequent basis, and this was the only thing in my adult life that scoped me! Poor eye relief on the cheep scope combined with a spring inside the pistol grip stock set me up for it. haha

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
A buddy of mine shoots 2 3/4" high brass Winchester Super X rifled slugs (I think) outta his smoothbore 870. With the slugs he uses he can almost put 3 shots through the same hole at 100 yards.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Keystone Killer, if you don't mind me asking can you put a fully rifled slug barrel on your shotgun or is there a reason you don't wish to? It would seem to be a solution. That way you could go with either the sabots or the full bore slugs designed for the fully rifled barrels. Either way it tends to be somewhat of a trial and error shot them until you find which your particular barrel, smoothbore or rifled, likes best. All the best hoping you find what you’re looking for.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I tried shooting some sabots once outta a smooth bore... Knocked the snot outta me! Was using my ol' mans 12ga slug gun, and didn't realize it had a shorter stock on it. my right thumb caught my nose on the first shot and def let me know it wasn't some .243. Oh, and was using hornadys and rem sabots. neither shot outta his gun. Sabots outta smooth bore IMO don't go together. Need rifled barrel. I was having sabots slapping the target sideways...

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Stogey said:
A buddy of mine shoots 2 3/4" high brass Winchester Super X rifled slugs (I think) outta his smoothbore 870. With the slugs he uses he can almost put 3 shots through the same hole at 100 yards.
From what I've read riffled slugs are not recomended for a smooth bore.They are called riffled slugs for a reason.
Hate to be sarcastic but if your buddy is doing this out of a smooth bore at 100 yds., he's one heck of a shot.
I shoot Rem. Accu Tips(riffled sabot slug) out of a fully riffled barrel.
I'm happy with a 1" group at 100 yds.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Rifled slugs are made to be shot out of a smoothbore because of the lack of rifling in the barrel. He is shooting the pumpkin balls not the sabots.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Susqyjoe said:
Stogey said:
From what I've read riffled slugs are not recomended for a smooth bore.They are called riffled slugs for a reason.
Hate to be sarcastic but if your buddy is doing this out of a smooth bore at 100 yds., he's one heck of a shot.
I shoot Rem. Accu Tips(riffled sabot slug) out of a fully riffled barrel.
I'm happy with a 1" group at 100 yds.

Rifled slugs are meant to be shot from smooth bore. Sabots are for rifled barrels. The accutips you're shooting are Sabots not rifled sabots (no such animal I'm pretty sure).
Not trying to be a horse's behind, just letting you know.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This whole post confused me. What should be shot out of a rifled barrel? Slugs, rifled slugs or sabots? And are there diffeent kind of sabots?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Didn't mean to confuse anyone.
I could swear the one style winchester sabot slugs I use to shoot stated on the box to be used in a riffled barrel.
As I stated a riffled slug is not recomended for a smoothbore. You can get erratic flight.
Thats why they came out with riffled choke tubes to helb stabbelize it.
I could be wrong here but what would the riffling on a slug
help in a smooth barrel. From what I've read they come out spinning wildly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rifled slugs are meant to be shot out of smoothbore shotguns. The slug itself has rifling cut in it which is supposed to put a spin on it as it exits the barrel. Most people say its doesnt do a thing. Its the way its weighted that makes them fly straight. Sabots are meant for fully rifled slug barrels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts