The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna try and put some trout in the smoker this year. I'm looking for some different ideas on a soaking brine and rubs. Anybody?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just use a regular brine and use hickory chips for the smoke.. does fine by me... some people try all kinds of different stuff on them, but to me it just takes away the natural good taste of the fish.... JUST MY OPINION

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have hickory, maple, apple, and plum wood available. I also forgot to ask in my first post; how long to soak in the brine?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I haven't fished trout since it was 8 per day. Two days limits would give me 32 filets. That was perfect for the Brinkman's 2 trays. I just soaked my filets in salted water in the fridge. Then I rinsed them and laid them on the trays. I sprinkled them with Old Bay and Lemon Pepper. Then I smoked them with Sassafras. I would use about half a pan of water with some wine or beer added. Those filets didn't take much more then an hour or so, till they got that brown color. I'd scrape them off the trays and put them in a ziploc bag. I'd take them to work at 6:30 AM and they'd be gone by 9. More then one person said "Let me just try a little piece". And then the hand went back in the bag.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I throw entire fish in brine with skin on...for a week and smoke them whole... alder is nice, sasafrass if i can find some. Smoked trout dip yum...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts