The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother in law has a smoker but we have never done a neck roast. I have a 2# part of neck. I know its tough and needs a long cook time but dont want it dried out. Plan on a on using it for tacos or fajitas or shredded on a roll. Plan to smoke around 225*for 5 hrs to 120* internal then in covered pan with beef broth for another 4-5 hrs. Will this plan work and not smoke too much and still be moist and pull apart?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would not smoke a neck thinking it would dry out. I love a neck roast and always cook it in a crock pot. The tendons and fat break down to provide easy eating.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I've never tried a neck but based on experiences with shoulder, I think you're on the right track. 5 hours for the initial smoke seems like a lot depending how thick it is. I would maybe back off on the initial smoke to just an hour or two before you start braising it. It's hard to put a time on anything bbq I would just keep probing it until it is your desired level of tender/falling apart.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neck is what my buddy gave me to smoke, it's only a 2# piece, don't want to ruin it. I will stop smoking after 2 hours and then baste it in a covered pan for the duration.Also plan on smoking a hind roast as well. That should only take a few hours for smoke and to cook. Buddy has some salmon and trout from Salmon river he wants me to smoke for him. BIL has done that many times.
Crock pot is a lot easier but smoking gives so much more flavor. Also looking at those sous vede immersion cooking things.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Your plan to smoke until 120 internal temp is OK. Once wrapped I would cook until 195 then let rest for about 20 min. (temp should rise to around 205 while resting). At 200-205 the meat should shred easily. I would watch meat temps and not get caught up in time limits (hours). The good thing is, if slightly over cooked you can add a sauce to moisten.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Your plan to smoke until 120 internal temp is OK. Once wrapped I would cook until 195 then let rest for about 20 min. (temp should rise to around 205 while resting). At 200-205 the meat should shred easily. I would watch meat temps and not get caught up in time limits (hours). The good thing is, if slightly over cooked you can add a sauce to moisten.
This sounds like a good plan.
My only concern, is there enough fat to keep it moist.
Please let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think a covered pan with beef stock after getting to 120* would keep it moist until falling apart. You suggest wrapping to finish? Since its a very small roast could you estimate remaining time? 2 hrs , 8 hrs? Planning all day sat smoking different meat so neck is starting first.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
One thing about a neck roast is that it let's you know when it's done. One minute it's still kind of rubbery, then next, it's easily pulled apart. If you have to fight with it, it's not done.
I've only ever done them in a crook pot and that usually is an all day cook, but that's with a big roast.

Smoking it sounds great! A neck roast is a real treat for me....love it!!!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I would smoke it with internal temp no less then 120 no more then 130 to 140! Neck roast won't take long about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hrs. Then let it rest for 10 min. before you start cutting. Never over cook deer meat way way to lean. A good meat thermometer is your best friend when smoking.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Brother in law has a smoker but we have never done a neck roast. I have a 2# part of neck. I know its tough and needs a long cook time but dont want it dried out. Plan on a on using it for tacos or fajitas or shredded on a roll. Plan to smoke around 225*for 5 hrs to 120* internal then in covered pan with beef broth for another 4-5 hrs. Will this plan work and not smoke too much and still be moist and pull apart?
Sounds like a perfect Insta Pot candidate!!:smile2:

·
Registered
709 Posts
You have had good options on here already but i prefer to use the roasts in a crock pot. I typically do 1-2 packets of mcCormic Aujuis with 1/2 to 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch packet (all depending on meat amount, 2lb min to 4lb max) along with 3/4 to 2 sticks of butter with 1/8 cup of water per lb of meat. I add 6-15 Peperinco peppers for flavor then after 4-8 hours i chunk or shred it and it is amazing.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
I would smoke it with internal temp no less then 120 no more then 130 to 140! Neck roast won't take long about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hrs. Then let it rest for 10 min. before you start cutting. Never over cook deer meat way way to lean. A good meat thermometer is your best friend when smoking.

Normally agreed, but a neck roast needs to be done low and slow. If you have to cut a neck (or shoulder) roast it's not done. For the best eating you've ever had, meat must pull easily off vertebrae. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So we started smoking chicken thighs, neck roast, steelhead and salmon, bottom round venison. Started at 10 am. Pan water in bottom and hickory chips wrapped in foil. Temps around 200. Will check in a few hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the fish came out after 3 hrs at 225 smoker temp. Then the bottom round came off after 31/2 hrs. Took the neck roast and put in aluminum covered pan with beef stock, basting every so often. Will leave in until it pulls apart with fork. Chicken legs at 145* now so more time needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your tips guys. The bottom round roast was tender and good smoke. Neck roast now on for 9 1/2 hrs. starting to pull apart. Another 1/2 should do it. Now I need to shop for a smoker! Im hooked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts