The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Masterbuilt 40" last week with digital controls. Thought it would make me a master smoker in a snap. Not a chnace. Just got done ruining my second batch of jerky in the past 24 hours although this one was better then the last. Still garbage though. It is really tricky to get the hang of this smoking stuff. I am going to keep at it however until I get it right. All I know is that you can spend whatever money you want and it wont make smoking a whole lot easier lol.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,026 Posts
Tater seems to be the "smoker"......

I smoked chicken and fish so far. Going to do some jerky soon.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,490 Posts
Trout...what temp were you running it at? I generally run it as cool as it will go, dehydrates and smokes as opposed to cooking it. Why does it suck (describe)? btw, I met your buddy Lenny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
I used to have my fair share of problems with smoking as well. I used a website called the smoke ring, it has lots of good tips and recipes and help on it. The best thing that i can tell you is less smoke is better at first until you get a handle of how your smoker works and smokes, then you can add more as needed.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,760 Posts
you gotta go easy on the smoke with jerky. theres alot of surface area to absorb the smoke but not alot of meat.


best cut of meat to do for a first smoke is a pork butt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,813 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
I bought a Masterbuilt 40" last week with digital controls. Thought it would make me a master smoker in a snap. Not a chnace. Just got done ruining my second batch of jerky in the past 24 hours although this one was better then the last. Still garbage though. It is really tricky to get the hang of this smoking stuff. I am going to keep at it however until I get it right. All I know is that you can spend whatever money you want and it wont make smoking a whole lot easier lol.
I've used the Masterbuilt for jerky before. I think 150 for about 6 hours worked pretty good,if I remember correctly.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FrankDegamma said:
Trout...what temp were you running it at? I generally run it as cool as it will go, dehydrates and smokes as opposed to cooking it. Why does it suck (describe)? btw, I met your buddy Lenny.
I'm running the next batch much cool. This one was 145 which shouldn't have been too hot but it apparently was. I'm going to around 120 next time.

Ya, Len mentioned that. I don't know him to aweful well but well enough. He is a character. Said you were a total animal and never welcome back.......Jk.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TATERDAVID said:
you gotta go easy on the smoke with jerky. theres alot of surface area to absorb the smoke but not alot of meat.


best cut of meat to do for a first smoke is a pork butt.
This was def. my problem. I am smoking WAY too heavy. I"m going to go cooler and very light smoke this coming weekend. Like 4-6 little chips ever 20 minutes or so.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,760 Posts
i wouldn't add wood after the first hour or two, this is what you need to tweak, if your adding wood the whole time it'll be way to strong.

what wood you using, i hope not mesquite
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Tater is correct. When i am processing jerky i build my fire and go for heat more then smoke. Jerky is a sponge and just a little smoke is enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
Zak I have the same smoker, my digital display went kaput in only 6 months time, just watch out for that....I have to try to order another one. Try smoking a chunk of deer tenderloin, YUM!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
bit different, but we use a smoke house, to smoke, what ever. but with the jerky, after the smoke ,into the dehydrator. much simpler. you can smoke to taste, then dry, that way you don`t have constant smoke.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,760 Posts
To the guy with the broken temp thing if they won't cover under warrenty get a maverick et73 remote temp reader they are nice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
Yeah I agree a Boston butt is the best way to go for getting to know your smoker. It is very forgiving and can take a good amount of smoke without having a bad taste, but you still can over smoke it. If you have never had pulled pork using a smoker you will never go back to what some places call pulled pork which is cooked in a crock pot. Good luck
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TATERDAVID said:
i wouldn't add wood after the first hour or two, this is what you need to tweak, if your adding wood the whole time it'll be way to strong.

what wood you using, i hope not mesquite
Hickory
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,760 Posts
Hickory is strong just go easy on it. Go to the website smokeing meat forums link was provided there are lots of guy who have your same smoker they could give you good adice on times and temps
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
20,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been all over that forum from a good month or better now. Right when I started to pick the smoker I was going to make. Lots of good stuff there and if i just follow some directions better I'm sure my outcome will be a lot better.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top