The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a charcoal grill/smoker as a gift, and I'd like to try smoking an entire deer hindquarter for a family gathering. I've mostly used gas grills over the course of my culinary career, so I was hoping some of you may be able to offer some suggestions as to how to cook something like that without screwing it up.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Re: Smoking a while hindquarter

It'll take awhile to get the internal temp to the 160 degree range so the biggest advice I could give is to not smoke the heck out of it the entire time. A lot of guys will add wood chips for hours until all you can taste at the end it smoke and bitterness. I have no idea how long it will take to get to temp but I would imagine it's a lot like smoking a pork butt. I usually smoke for 2 hours or so and then wrap it to get the temp up over the final few hours. 225 should be a good temp to cook it at. Everyone's different though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would rub it with your favorite rub and smoke it 250-300 degrees with your favorite wood(i like apple plus is plentiful around and easy to get), once its gets a good crust/Starting to get dark i would transfer to a deep roasting pan or dutch oven and finish in the oven covered tightly braised with beer, hard cider or water would even work. Then cook in oven until tender and pulls apart.

If you smoke it until 160 its going to be tough and dry, there is no fat on deer unlike pork or beef and and will be dry like the turkey on national lampoons...

Just for reference iv never done this, but thats how i would do it, iv worked in food service as a chef for almost 10 years. Good luck leave us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
You could always do it like a ham. I did a bear hind quarter last year and it turned out great. I brined it for 10 days and low & slow on the smoker for probably 12 hours.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
smoke at 200 to 225 degrees for 1 to 1.5 hours per pound. Rub with whatever kind of rub you like the night before and wrap it up in plastic wrap. Bearklr is right. 2 hours of smoke will do the job. 160 internal temp and it will be perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts