The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long and what temp should a medium to large roast take to smoke?

Also, I always used a dehydrator or oven to make jerky. How long and what temp should I make jerky.

I have a Brinkman gas smoker.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
depends how rare you want it, beef/venison must hit an internal temp of i think 180 to kill bacteria.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JUST DID 8 LBS OF ELK JERKY ON SATURDAY. USED "SHORE LUNCH" BRAND SEASONING FROM GANDER MOUNTAIN. 200 DEGREES FOR 1 TO 2 HOURS. START CHECKING AT 1 HOUR.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
all meats kill bacteria at 165. This is the reason Mickey Dees chicken products must hit 165 before they can be served. I'd be fine with pulling a deer roast out of the smoker at 145-150 and tenting it with foil to let it finish out of heat for about 20 mins.

I cook a standing rib roast to internal of 135 and then pull it out. (i'm cooking at 500 for a half hour then down to 350 till we hit the temp). cover tightly with foil and let sit. measured temp after 1/2 hour like this is usually about 145-150 and is a perfect medium rare in the center, with the next cuts out more on the medium going to medium well and the final cuts are well done.

That said, i'm not fond of medium rare venison...not from the wild anyway. i cook it fully. You can take off the heat a LITTLE early, but let it rest, covered. Did i mention you should cover it with foil while you let it rest? hehehe...trust me you'll love the results!

all that said, i don't have a smoker...and know very little about them. I know most guys that do a brisket or two smoke at 225 or so for about 4-5 hours but a roast is thicker than brisket and may take a little longer at that temp. My God...I can't imagine the smoke ring you will get on a venison ham...what time should i be over? :drool:

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
i could give along answer but i'll provide a link to an excellent site for all your smoking needs. they have a wild game section, i was just reading through it yesterday.be sure to check out cowgirls stuff, that girl can flat out cook

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/index.php

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i'm startin to wonder if'n y'ain't datin or married to this cowgirl...you always givin' her cookin props tater

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
nah, shes just a cool lady, lives a nice country life and makes some seriously good looking grub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts