The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you soak your wood chips before putting them in the smoker?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I soak mine for about 15 min then while they are in the smoker I soak another batch and replace the first about half way through the smoking . That's just me , others may do something different .

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnx....I soak mine and alway have a pile of them left with a little singe on the edges... not sure I am getting the smoke I want

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I used to soak them with my gas and charcoal smokers. I no longer soak them with my Bradley digital electric smoker which use compressed wood discs and self feeds.

Reactions: Muzz

·
Registered
278 Posts
I do not soak wood before cooking. If temps are right you will get enough smoke from dry wood. Remember too much smoke can impart a bitter taste to what ever you are cooking.

·
Administrator
28,195 Posts
I used to try all sorts things in my MES30 it I was never satisfied with the amount of smoke or the duration between reloads, so I bought the A-MAZE-N smoke generator. It cost $22.00, and burns pellets or sawdust.
Load it, start a burn, and walk away. No additional heat source is necessary to keep the burn going, but even though the burn is small it throws plenty of smoke and lasts for hours and hours. Whether I use it by itself to cold smoke, or if I use it in addition to what's already in my smoker I'm real happy with it.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Have a WSM. I soak for about one hour and get perfect results.

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
for me it depends on what I'm smoking and how hot I have it running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts