The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for recipes for smoking venison. I want to smoke some backstraps for Christmas dinner and have been searching for recipes and haven't found one I liked. Does anyone out there have and recipes for smoking venison?? Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Salt, pepper, wostershire, and soy. Rub it in real nice and let sit for a bit prior to cooking. My buddy likes to add brown sugar and a little molasses to that recipe also

·
Registered
362 Posts
I make a brine using brown suger, cure 1/4 tsp per lb, salt , pepper, hickory liquid smoke, abnd soy sauce. I have no measurments just mix until it taste good. I let it marinate in the fridge for 2 days and then smoke it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
This is my newest favorite flavor.

I mix this up for a rub

brown sugar 1/3 cup
salt 1 tbsp
pepper 1/2 tbsp
paprika 1 tsp

Same rub that I use for ribs or pork in the smoker. Dry rub meat, coating every surface of the meat. I also smoke venison in those disposable cake pans, like a frozen lasgna comes in, with a dollop (1/4 cup) of bacon grease in it, sliced apple or pineapples on top. I smoke uncovered for 3-4 hours at 180 keep the smoke thick and heavy, apple is my favorite wood. I make my own sawdust with a 1" spade drill bit. Halfway thru I turn meat over in the pan and cover with foil to retain mosture for the last 3-4 hours. Thicker pieces get 8 hours total, thinner peices and small chunks can come out at 6+ hours or so. Once it is out take the time to slice it all across the grain and return it to the pan of juice and serve. I always make a big batch that fills the smoker when I do this and reheat the pans for leftovers all week long. I have done larger roasts out of the rump, loins, and neck roasts as well, neck roast are a bit chewy but the loins and rump roasts are like prime rib, with the pan juice being au juis.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Have been wanting to post this for awhile but kept forgeting to bring recipe inside.
3-4# roast
1 c. white sugar
3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbs. coarse ground pepper
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 c. water
1 c. beer

mix all ingredients. heat in microwave or on stove top to dissolve sugar. put in nonmetal container. pour over roast with enough water to cover. refrigerate for 48 hrs. remove from brine & let air dry at room temp for 1-2 hrs. cover with a couple pieces bacon. put in smoker at 230-250 until reaching internal temp of 150. don't forget water in the water pan or 1 can beer & 1 can of water

when in frig DO NOT stir or shake because pepper will cling to meat if left alone. stiring or shaking will wash it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts