The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a salmon filet i want to smoke over the weekend. I'm new to smoking meat and have never done fish before. How would you guys brine/smoke it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wash it and dry with paper towels. Put on a rub of kosher salt, smoked paprika, brown sugar, and minced garlic. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Take from fridge and wash off the dry rub. Let it set out for an hour to form a a dried coating. Onto the smoker for about 5 hours at 185-200. Check for flaking to test for doneness. Let it sit at room temp for an hour to cool before vacuum packing or just dig in! It gets to be an expensive habit. Don't ask me how I know...:)

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Go to smokingmeatforum.

Great website and a whole section on fish

·
Registered
970 Posts
I smoked trout this past weekend on my charcoal grill, my first time smoking anything. The recipe was to brine it in water, salt, sugar, pepper, garlic, and dill for a couple hours.

One layer of coals on half the grill, the trout in a disposable tin roasting pan on the opposite side, and soaked wood chips on top of the coals for about an hour (until it flakes). Came out very nice, adjust the vents to keep the heat around 200-250 and develope the desired amount of smoke.

I think Salmon would be fine brined longer and smoked longer. I did put a second batch of wood chips on the coals halfway through. I was going to try Salmon this weekend this way.

For now I'm sticking with the charcoal grill, I don't need anymore expensive habits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts