The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see alot of us are smoking pork products right now. i got some ham slice curing and bacon. my meat guy said on ham slice 4 days and smoke to 145..this is my first batch with an electric smoker so hoping no to dry this batch out.. also went with a regular salt brine and a honey bourbon brine on the bacon for 7 days....smoked the hocks without brining just for flavor. before I smoke the bacon i was gonna rub some coarse blk pepper and let it dry then smoke...anyone got any tips before the smoke hits the fan? apple or hickory?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I like the apple on Bacon, and if you ever get some sassafras chips, that makes it incredible. Try this when you get it done. I first had this in an elk camp, and I have loved it ever since. Take your homemade Bacon, chop it rough like 4" pieces. Layer it in a big baking dish with 3 boxes of Betty Crocker instant scalopped potatos, all pre mixed. Bake that for 50 minutes and you are dining close to heaven ! ( The elk guides carried the instant tater mixes because it is so light to pack, they had a talent for creating a meal with it )

·
Registered
51 Posts
we butcher our own hogs every year,and do the bacon with mortins tender quick,curing salt.coat the slabs well and we stack in a cooler,rotate every day for a week.I dont think you could over cure,rinse and soak in fresh water for 1 hour before smoking.I use maple wood,smoke at a lower heat so as not to render out the fat.we pump and brine our hams with kits we order from LEM and smoke till the inner temp hits 160 deg.the ham kits also work great on deer hinds.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i got the experiment batch in now...smoking with cherry cuz i cant find my apple bag. i do have a block of sassafras but my hatchet is at camp...and one site said that was a wood to aviod? anyways since its gonna be reheated before eating im smoking on 170 for an hour and half and see where temp lies. the bacon goes in on sat. i got like 15 ham slices to do and 5 slabs of bacon.. this could take a while in my masterbuilt 4 rack smokie. i bet north hills smells good this week tho

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
My wifes great grandpa still had the original smokehouse cooking on the farm in the 1980's. He was in his early Nineties. He smoked for 3 days ( hams) and did not use sassafras until the last day. It sure adds a great flavor.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LB sure, i might be over in the am....i just couldnt resist..i had 5 slabs. 3 regular wet brine, 2 in a mild honey bourbon brine, well i took one bourbon out tongiht and gave a hard bourbon brine for the overnight and 1 regular out and put a maple, brown sugar brine on it.. it was in salt brine all week so i skipped the salt..i figure it already absorbed it all week. well the smoke rolls in the am..dreaming of bacon,,maple...and bourbon mmmmmmmmm black pepper......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Welllll???? How'd it turn out? I was out on the ice most of the weekend.If you need some apple wood let me know.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well its over with...i had more than i could handle to be honest..21 ham slices and 40# of bacon slabs in a 4 rack 30 inch masterbuilt smoker ..i hot smoked em all cuz i dont have the space to cold smoke for days. well first batch i forgot to open the damper a little so they went in dry with a nice pellicle but came out wet....the second batch i hung on a wire instead of laying and they didnt seem to color right and the third batch well we will see. the ham slices tasted good but maybe a lil dry after reheating so mamaybe next time ill smoke on high smoke for an hour for flavor then chill them pack as raw to be cooked later..better than store bought but drier. I just used cherry wood this time. all said and done i could have done better but there is always next time

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I cure my own hams and bacon in fact right now i have 4 hams and 4 slabs of bacon curing in my meat house. I just do the rub that was family passed down to me. I never did the smoking part before but heard of it. So other words i could take a sklab of bacon and put in my gas smoker and still smoke it? We buthered the week after rifle season and they been hanging since.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah if its been curing since then all you would need to do is put some smoke to it.. since you have had it hanging for a while i would just get the smoker smoking and smoke it for a quick hit just get some smoke on the skin. if you did it from the beginning you go two options hot smoke which actually cooks the bacon but pull it at 145....or cold smoke which does not cook just flavors it with temps around 90 degrees but takes up from 4 hours to 4 days..either way your rub will cure it against spoiling just as it does now.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mine actually turned out pretty good, i was so tired of it at first i was hard on judging it but after eating some this weekend it was pretty tasty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts