The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And in this case, you can say I almost literally smoked one... lol

105 yards, she ran about 75 yards and crashed in a heap.

This was my longest flintlock shot on a deer, and it's the first deer I killed with a ball I cast myself.

Time to go harass the tree rats now....

·
Registered
212 Posts
My mouth started watering when I read the title of the post. Wasn’t until I clicked on it that I realized what you meant. I’m always thinking with my stomach...

Congrats on your harvest and great accomplishment!

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rest assured parts of that deer WILL get smoked.

Dried “beef” and make a smoked backstrap. Been meaning to try smoked tenderloins but I can’t bring myself to deviate from searing/grilling them. Lol

·
Registered
19,555 Posts
Congrats on the late season flinter deer. Every time I see one of them long rifles, it makes more more hyped up to pull the trigger on one, so to speak.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Anything past 100 yds with a flinter is an accomplishment! CONGRADULATIONS!!!:smile2:

Yeah it is. About 75 yds for a standing off hand shot is the best I can do. . My hats off to those that can make those shots. Great shot tdd!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Glad to see someone got one...I saw one lone deer in the snow last Saturday and haven't seen a deer since. Where I hunt, that ice crust was terrible and made it impossible to sneak up on anything. I may try to get out after this downpour is over.

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah it is. About 75 yds for a standing off hand shot is the best I can do. . My hats off to those that can make those shots. Great shot tdd!
Offhand, yeah, I'd call 70-ish my limit. This one I shot from a stand using a rail for support. I'm not too proud to use it! :)

Glad to see someone got one...I saw one lone deer in the snow last Saturday and haven't seen a deer since. Where I hunt, that ice crust was terrible and made it impossible to sneak up on anything. I may try to get out after this downpour is over.
Same for my area...had that crap been melted out from the shaded edges of the field, I would have been in a different stand and had a much closer shot, and a shot at one of the bigger does in the bunch, too. But that stand was surrounded by crunchy, crusty snow, and it was closer to where the deer came from, so my guess is that if I'd pushed the issue and walked to that stand, the deer would have known I was there and I never would have seen them.

The rain is supposed to let up 2-ish hours before quitting time. I think I'm gonna take my new-to-me fowler out with a round ball load and see what I can find. If nothing else, I'll be in the woods when the season closes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The spots I could hunt this past week are woods only, so it has been tough. I loved seeing that snow come down but I knew it would turn out terrible due when it turned to sleet 3pm last Saturday.

Looks like 90 minutes here. I have a plan, but unfortunately I left my climber seat out in the woods last night...I'll have to take the seat from my main climber.

·
Super Moderator
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got out and took a stand where I thought I stood the best chance of seeing deer, but thought the chance of a shot was low. No deer tonight.

'Yotes wiped out the gut pile already from my doe from Thursday. There was a 10' "crop circle" they flattened around the gut pile, the stomach contents, and not one thing else left over. They made short work of that....maybe my 223 and I need to get out there this winter...

·
Registered
325 Posts
It cut loose raining again as soon as I got settled up a tree. Squirrels were still out though, really standing out bright grey in that light. Then the fog came in waves. A fox came through twice. I didn't see deer until after 4:30 or so when they came out to feed in a cornfield about 3/4 mile away. Five does I think, one really small yet. There was a guy in a ladder stand in that field a couple weeks ago wearing orange, and he didn't shoot that evening. At least not a gunshot, and I doubt he'd have orange on for bow. These deer were in bowrange to his stand and the wind was right, too, but I didn't see him tonight. Well, cars will probably kill one or two of them before September.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts