The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you guys familiar with the smith and wesson model 042? I stumbled arosss a heck of a deal on one, so I snagged her up, and plan on using it for CC. Anyone have any favorite loads for CC in the .38 special? I've been doing a ton of research, and have my own ideas, but it would be nice to hear from some of you with experience. Also, any advice on an IWB holster? I already picked up a good leather one for regular hinking/hunting/fishing carry, but I want to be able to try the IWB types before I get one, or atleast get some good first hand advice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
891 Posts
If I'm not mistaken this is the hammer less air weight? I love the 38 for CC. I use some 125 grain hallow points, Hornday xtp. Blamo!!!. They blow up water jugs well enough. If you reload, check them out. If not, I like federal personal defense.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a hammerless centennial, but there were only about 4,400 of them made. It's kind of unique I guess you could say, but it looks the same as the other hammerless centennials.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
It was the short lived remake of the famous "Lemon Squeezer" built on a modern J frame.

Model 42 archive

according to that spec sheet, it is +P rated.

I have a 442 centenial airwight in which I carry the Speer 135 grain gold dot loaded expecially for short barrels. It's a handful so I don't generall practice with it.

Midway USA speer 38 special

That round got good ratings when gun-tests did a comparo of 38 special ammo.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I carry Win. 38 Special 125 gr. +P Silvertip Hollowpoints in my S&W Model 64 2".

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PeteMacMahon said:
It was the short lived remake of the famous "Lemon Squeezer" built on a modern J frame.

Model 42 archive

according to that spec sheet, it is +P rated.

I have a 442 centenial airwight in which I carry the Speer 135 grain gold dot loaded expecially for short barrels. It's a handful so I don't generall practice with it.

Midway USA speer 38 special

That round got good ratings when gun-tests did a comparo of 38 special ammo.

No, that's not it. Mine is a model 042. Mine has no grip safety, and was only made for or year, 1992. From what I can gather, mine is not +p rated.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Borden811,

My apologies. According to some posts on other sites, those are actually borderline collectable.

Check out the info on this posting:

Smith-Wessonforum

Supposedly, less than 5000 made and everyone rants about their bluing. Not +P rated, so disregard my ammo suggestion!

There's one for sale on Gunbroker now:

042 listing

Here is a gun test mag review on non +P ammo:

Gun tests

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I like my late 70's S&W 2" Model 64 which I'm sorry to say has been discontinued. They still make a 4" but no 2".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts