The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was fishing for walleye yesterday and caught a couple smallmouths. I am not normally a smallmouth bass fisherman (I usually consider them a nuisance catch) but I have caught a few in the past few years 20" or more and they are growing on me. This was my biggest one yesterday. It doesn't look it in the picture but it was 20.5" It was pretty fat too. Any idea what the weight would be?

https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipNZts7YuPED3GEd1zqo_qNOx9hzwALDQ0rTZcbn

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/Documents/weightlength3.pdf This will vary some - full of eggs, river fish vs. lake fish and if said fish just choked down a 6"shiner with 2 crayfish appitizers LOL.

Other fish are listed in Part 1 + 2 on PFBC website - hit FISH at top of page then hit Pa fishes - scroll down that page.

How is the walleye fishing on the Big D(in general) ? My local "hotspots" are now closed since the season is closed for "inland waters"

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys. Are you able to view the pictures?

It looks like it was in the 4 pound range according to the chart. It seemed bigger but I have never owned a fish scale so I guess I don't have much point of reference.

Icemole, I am not a regular fishing the Delaware for walleye. I tried it twice last week but that is pretty much the extent of my recent experience. The walleye pic that I posted last week was from the Susquehanna. I still haven't figured out how to catch any on the Delaware. I did meet a guy on the river who had caught a few.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
We catch a lot of bigger smallies in the St. Lawrence and I have 1 mounted caught locally that was 23 1/2" and weighed just under 5# so guessing your's is in the 4# range?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
looks in the 4lb range .
not thin , but also not fat...
just a healthy example of a female smallie

with smallmouths length is fairly proportional to weight
largemouths on the other hand weight can vary quite a bit at any given length.
you really need diameter and length to get a guesstimation

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. It was a fun catch. I thought it was a walleye until it got halfway to my kayak and it made a run for the surface. Despite the cold it put up a decent fight and jumped out of the water twice. I also had a 16 incher. No walleyes unfortunately.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Thanks, guys. Are you able to view the pictures?

It looks like it was in the 4 pound range according to the chart. It seemed bigger but I have never owned a fish scale so I guess I don't have much point of reference.

Icemole, I am not a regular fishing the Delaware for walleye. I tried it twice last week but that is pretty much the extent of my recent experience. The walleye pic that I posted last week was from the Susquehanna. I still haven't figured out how to catch any on the Delaware. I did meet a guy on the river who had caught a few.
Yeah I hit the Susky a fair bit for walley(also get a few at Blue Marsh mostly by accident). But since walleye is closed at both places I don't target them there.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Compare the fight to a one lb larger large mouth....

I caught a 5# SMB that was the best fight ever...took the boat owner a good 6 tries to get it in the net; all the while being amazed the $19.00 Wal Mart Shakespeare rod wasn't broken.

Standing up in the back of the boat and could hardly keep the tip out of the water!

Had larger LMB that netted much easier...

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Generally, a healthy 20" bass is going to be in the 4-5lb range. I've caught several 20" smallmouth in my lifetime and all of them have been 4.5lb or better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts