The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering if I can get some help here. This is goin to be my first food plot that I am doing and I just want to know what would be good to plant for a small woods plot that I plan to bow hunt over. I plan on planting in late August early September. And in put helps. Thanks

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
A little more info or pics would help. Did you do any soil treatment, IE lime, fertilizer, manure, etc.

Is it mostly shade? Sun?

Rye grain is easy to grow for a fall plot, or buck forage oats. I've heard that the latter is hard to come by this year.

Clover/chicory mix is also a good first of august choice. If your soil is garbage, and not near 7 PH, you're wasting your time mostly. Do some more research. QDMA is a good place to go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I'm sending a soil sample to psu and it does get a good amount of sun but it is in the woods so there are periods it is in shaded

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Winter rye, oats (any variety - the deer don't care), and some white clover.....would be my suggestion. They will grow fine in a partially shaded setting. More light the better obviously. You could also mix in some radishes if you have access to them.

We have pretty good clover plots on soil with pH's of 6.0 and 6.2. Getting some lime on it now will help some for an early Sept planting.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Agree with OAWC. Winter rye is a "no miss" solution for a first year plot. Oats is a good add if you can get it covered at least an inch deep. If not, the rye is forgiving and will grow without being covered although if you can it is better and the birds don't get to the seed.

I often top dress my rye plot with some dwarf Essex rape. Works every time!

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Clover is a fantastic companion for winter rye. Turnips will work as well....just not as common. They usually work better planted each in half the plot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts