The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations on a small truck,say $15,000-$18,000 price range? Would like something 4WD and Ext.,Access cab.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Tacoma.....but for 15,000 to 18,000 and 4wd it will have to be at least five years old. They hold their value like a harley.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking but dang those things are pricey,seems like all the Tacomas in that 4-5 year range have a tremendous amount of mileage on them,I plan on trading my 2006 Toyota Corolla LE with 31,000 on it in on something.What is considered decent mileage on a used Tacoma?Just seems like paying what I'm wanting to for something with 120,000 or more miles on it is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
For perspective I have an 08 Tacoma with 94k miles on it and outside of basic maintenance items I have a total of around $350-500 in out of pocket shop repairs that needed done which at almost 100K miles is peanuts. Mine has never given me any trouble.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I had a '94 Tacoma that I put 151K miles on and a '02 Frontier that I bought used with 20K on it and traded it with 167K on it. I liked both trucks and wouldn't be afraid to buy either again.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Bought a 2010 4wd access cab Sr5 4 cyl. manual with 27,300 on the clock last September. Local and all service records, not a scratch on it. Traded a 2010 reg cab Tacoma 2wd. They originally had it listed at $25,250!! The trucks list in 2010 was $19,500 brand new! Made for some interesting and not so candid negotiations until I bought it. The market sets the price and these trucks are very desirable.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
I went through the small truck phase when I first graduated from college.I didn't think I had a need for a bigger truck so I went through a couple Nissans and Toyotas.They were nice looking trucks and reliable.However,they had no power and got pretty crappy gas mileage for the amount of power they had.Fifteen years ago,I was more less forced to start buying full sized trucks.I would never go back.They're way more useful,practical and they don't get any worse fuel mileage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 2009 Tacoma Access Cab with 30,000 miles, I bought it brand new. The dealer calls me monthly hoping I'll trade it in. Nope, for the amount of miles I put on it I may never have to buy another truck again. LOL.

·
Registered
20,503 Posts
My Old Frontier had 147,000 miles when I traded it. I figure, I'll have this current truck and one more before I die.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The v6 in the 2nd gen toyotas got plenty of get up and go and plenty of power for hauling within their capacity. I average about 19-20 mpg with all terrain tires with the 4x4 quad cab. Mpg was better with all seasons.

If you get the small truck and use it like a truck to haul, get a trailer. You are going to want and need the trailer. If I didn't have the trailer I would be looking at a full size.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I echo the sentiments of those mentioning the downsides of a small truck. As I said above, I had a '94 Tacoma and a '02 Frontier and liked them both. The Tacoma was a 2.2L 4-cylinder 5-speed stick. No power at all, but for what I used it for, it met my needs. I got about 21 mpg highway. The Frontier was a 3.3L V-6 (not the turbo-charged version.) I got a max of 19 mpg highway on it. I traded the Frontier in on a '06 4-door Crew Cab Tundra, It has a 6-foot bed like the other trucks, but the bed is wider and deeper, and the full size back seat is nice for the odd occasions when I have more than one passenger. In truth, I like the back seat for my archery gear, which stays there for months at a time. It's a 4.7L V-8 and I generally get about 17 mpg (most ever was 17.7) on the highway. For the trade-off in fuel efficiency, I'll take the big truck and take the hit at the pump.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I paid around $20,000 on my brand new 2012 2.7l 4×4 reg cab tacoma. It doesn't have a lot of room for people/gear and doesn't have a lot of power but what it is good for is a lightweight offroad use. It's about as good as you get for beach driving atleast.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
dce said:
I went through the small truck phase when I first graduated from college.I didn't think I had a need for a bigger truck so I went through a couple Nissans and Toyotas.They were nice looking trucks and reliable.However,they had no power and got pretty crappy gas mileage for the amount of power they had.Fifteen years ago,I was more less forced to start buying full sized trucks.I would never go back.They're way more useful,practical and they don't get any worse fuel mileage.
x2. I had three Ford Rangers. Now I'm on my third F-150. There is WAY more room and bedspace in a full sized truck and my current F-150 gets better gas mileage than any of my Rangers ever did.
Unless I was single and a loner in my hunting and fishing, I would not even consider a small truck again.

That being said, if I were going to buy one, I'd have to look hard at the new Chevy Colorado. Nice looking truck, pretty good reviews.

·
Registered
313 Posts
richbat said:
That's what I was thinking but dang those things are pricey,seems like all the Tacomas in that 4-5 year range have a tremendous amount of mileage on them,I plan on trading my 2006 Toyota Corolla LE with 31,000 on it in on something.What is considered decent mileage on a used Tacoma?Just seems like paying what I'm wanting to for something with 120,000 or more miles on it is ridiculous.
Be sure to watch out for rear leaf springs and lower ball joints and your probably going need a new water pump if the truck is nearing the century mark.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
That being said, if I were going to buy one, I'd have to look hard at the new Chevy Colorado. Nice looking truck, pretty good reviews.

A customer of mine just paid 37k for a new Colorado and his wife works at the GM dealer.It's a pretty sharp truck but I can't see it being worth 37k.I just added a new 2015 diesel 3/4 ton for a guy this morning.After rebates he paid 41k.

I'm sort of in the market for a regular cab Toyota for my daughter.She's small so a full size truck is probably too much.I want something slow and something she sits up in and can't haul more than one person.

·
Registered
20,503 Posts
dce said:

A customer of mine just paid 37k for a new Colorado and his wife works at the GM dealer.It's a pretty sharp truck but I can't see it being worth 37k.I just added a new 2015 diesel 3/4 ton for a guy this morning.After rebates he paid 41k.

I'm sort of in the market for a regular cab Toyota for my daughter.She's small so a full size truck is probably too much.I want something slow and something she sits up in and can't haul more than one person.
good thinking!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts