The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering making a small plot this yr for the deer, would like to use turnips and clover, is it best to purchase these seeds just separately than in a premixed match? Also how well do these grow in small openings in woods? Also is there a certain type of clover or turnip that is better than another?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
a plain clover blend will work just fine. I planted turips and rye in a small opening in the woods and put lots of fertilizer on it and it grew great. if you just want a small amount of seed you can get diffrent mixes at hunting stores. they usally come in 1/4 acre bags. if you want to go big you can go to any ag store that carrys seeds and get large bulk amounts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used whitetail institute double cross a blend of clover plus barasica. The clover is good for 3 years, the barasica only lasts a year. The deer hit this plot all fall. I was really satisfied with double cross. the deer now are in my turnip plot big time. I would not recomend turnips for hunting over because the deer dont seem to hit the turnips in agricultural areas till well after christmas.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would plant a clover plot with strips of turnips through it. If you get a perenial clover it will grow across the strips, if you keep them 4 to 5 foot wide, in the spring and then you can plant strips again in the fall. Rotate the strip locations so you don't run into trouble with disease in the turnips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts