The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really thought about it much until today, but I never remember catching a small mouth at night. I've caught them from dawn till dusk, but I just don't think I've caught one at night...How about you?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
caught lots at night
Heddon Tiny Torpedoes
Rebel Crawfish
Rapalas

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I run alot of rapalas and different surface lures like the jitterbug, hula popper, and hub chub. I can light up large mouth, pike, and musky at night, but to me, its like an on off switch with small mouth.

The current lake I fish(smallie lake, no large mouth), is a deep clear lake, and it has me stumped in day or night. I've tried every place there should be a fish, but still come up empty. I'm guessing I need something geared more to the 10 + foot running lure.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
there lies our problem
I have only fished for smallies at night on streams and rivers. it is about my favorite time

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I love fishing smallies in the dark on the Susky. Heddon Tiny Torpedoes are just about as good as it gets. One of my fishing partners caught a 7 lb 6 oz smallie burning a 12" double showgirl under the surface while fishing for musky in the dark last year. Noise and vibration is key.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
I fish more at night than I do daytime. I have great luck with smallies on top water baits at night.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Caught them on the delaware river with live crawfish before.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i use jitterbugs on the raystown branch at night with good success. gotta keep moving though.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I catch many more fish when it is light out. It's tough for me to night fish, especially on a stream where I can't read the water. I usually don't do well.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
most of my smallie fishing is done on the river. we avoid night fishing cuz you just never know whats going to happen at night. but we pound them late evening, black or white jitterbugs thrown parralel with the shore or rapalas thrown into the rocks while drifting in the boat

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well gentlemen,

I'll be on the lake in an hour for an all night smallmouth mission. My plan is to basically to cover alot of shoreline using dark crankbaits,spinners, and surface. My goal is 12 hours, I'll report back tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hit it hard last night, I covered alot of shoreline. During the dark hours, I didn't get a single hit. Around 4:45 when I couild see the hue of the sun over the horizion, it was like turning on a switch! Caught a total of 13 smallmouth(during day light) from 13-18".

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've seen and caught some of my biggest smallmouth to date at night. I've never eclipsed 6lbs or anything like that but I do know of one guy that caught a smallie over 7lbs at night.

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
I love fishing the susky at night with jitterbugs, you never know what you will get. I've got plenty of nice smallies, rock bass and channel cats, my biggest channel cats have come at night on topwater plugs. Even got 17-inch walleye last year on a jitterbug at night.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have never really fished at night for smallies on the Susquehanna but Im gonna give a shot after hearing the success of you guys.

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
I think a lot of fish will follow the lure into the shallows and then finally hit it, I've had many explosions just a few feet away from me, they can definitely get your hands shakin and take your breath away for an instant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts