The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Small Game Orange Requirements

12K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  ICAREDOYOU 
#1 ·
Alright I know you have to have 250 square inches on head and chest. What I'm not sure about is 150 square inches an entire solid orange vest? I always thought it was, but you see so many upland bird vest that are brown/orange and so many people using them in the field. I don't want to get one and then meet a comissioner who says you don't have enought orange on and then proceeds to write me a citation.

#3 ·
You need a total of 250 sq inches on the head, chest and back combined in such a manner that it is visible in a 360% arc. A solid orange hat is about 100 sq inches. I wear and orange and tan vest which has orange both fron and back and either a solid orange hat or a felt stetson with an orange band around the crown and I am well within the law. Where you must be careful is wearing orange camo. An orange cammo hat and vest may not make the 250 sq inches depending on the pattern. To envision 250 sq inches, a 20x20 inch peice of orange cloth would be 200 sq inches.

#4 ·
Yes is doesn't take much to make up 250 sq inches, most vests they make are overkill, but better to be safe than sorry, you want to be seen by other hunters when small game hunting, esp. when in the fields with pheasants flying or bunnies running, can get downright dangerous!!

#5 ·
John S said:
To envision 250 sq inches, a 20x20 inch peice of orange cloth would be 200 sq inches.
Just a little correction:

About 16 X 16 is = to 250 sq in.

If the hat is 100 that would leave a min of 150 combined for chest and back--75 each which is about 8.5" X 8.5".

#6 ·
John S said:
You need a total of two sq inches on the head, chest and back combined in such a manner that it is visible in a 360% arc. A solid orange hat is about 100 sq inches. I wear and orange and tan vest which has orange both fron and back and either a solid orange hat or a felt stetson with an orange band around the crown and I am well within the law. Where you must be careful is wearing orange camo. An orange cammo hat and vest may not make the 250 sq inches depending on the pattern. To envision 250 sq inches, a 20x20 inch peice of orange cloth would be 200 sq inches.
That would be 400 sq. inches.

#10 ·
Actually 16x16 would be 256 sq inches.
I sure am no math wizzard 10x10 is 100 sq and I made the mistake of just doubling it for 200. The whole point was it doesn't have to be evenly divided as long as it can be seen 360%. Except when hunting ground hogs when you must have 100 sq" on the head.

#12 ·
John S said:
Actually 16x16 would be 256 sq inches.
I sure am no math wizzard 10x10 is 100 sq and I made the mistake of just doubling it for 200. The whole point was it doesn't have to be evenly divided as long as it can be seen 360%. Except when hunting ground hogs when you must have 100 sq" on the head.
Actually I just did the calculation in my head and came up with the exact number

15.811388300841896659994467722164 X 15.811388300841896659994467722164 =

#16 ·
Freytown, I doubt there is an officer who has been in the field for any length of time who hasn't sent someone home with the admonishment to get some new fluorescent orange because it was too faded to be fluorescent. Most of the time it was a hat that had laid on the dash or the back deck of a vehicle and was bleached buy the sun but I have seen vests so faded they looked pink. Some states use a measurement called a lumen to determin the legality of flourescent orange clothing. The clothing must reflect X number of lumens to be legal. I suppose there is an instrument to measure that if they have to go to court. Generally the PGC officers use a comparison in court using an acceptable piece of flourescent orange clothing to the article used by the defendant if the person forces a prosecution by not replacing the clothing. I never had to make a prosecution after telling a hunter to replace their no longer acceptable clothing.

#17 ·
I'm thinkin if the WCO is tellin ya yer FO is no longer any good....and yer givin him a hard time, maybe you ought to strap on a set of antlers to your head? Should provide about the same amount of protection as yer trusty "lucky orange" stuff.

Dave

#19 ·
John S said:
An orange cammo hat and vest may not make the 250 sq inches depending on the pattern.
I purchased a Cabella's orange camo fleece vest to wear over my Camo. The tag stated that it contained 250 sq.in. of FO so it exceeds the requirements when you wear an FO hat. I wanted to know I had enough orange when I bought the new camo suit to get away from a worn out cheap orange camo jacket that never was warm enough.

#20 ·
I was told by a WCO once that as long as you are wearing a "total" of 250 sq inches of FO material, you were legal. You gould be wearing an FO coat, which is way more than the required amount of FO, but if you weren't wearing the FO hat, you were in violation of the law. So in other words as long as you have one sq inch of FO material on a hat, and then the vest/ coat / whathave you , you are legal.

#21 ·
No you would not be. The combined 250 sq inches of orange must be visible in a 360% arc whether it is on your head, chest or head and it must be on all three. You would be hard pressed to have one inch visible in a 360 % arc. Why would anyone even want to quibble about this, ridiculous! All you have to do is read the regulation in the digest, it is self explainatory.

#22 ·
John S said:
No you would not be. The combined 250 sq inches of orange must be visible in a 360% arc whether it is on your head, chest or head and it must be on all three. You would be hard pressed to have one inch visible in a 360 % arc. Why would anyone even want to quibble about this, ridiculous! All you have to do is read the regulation in the digest, it is self explainatory.
If it were self explainatory we wouldn't have different WCOs with a differnent take on it. It clearly states that we need a minimum of 250 square inches on head,back and chest combined visable in a 360 degree arc. It seems to be saying that as you move around that person, a portion of that 250 square inch of blaze has to be visable at all degrees.....somewhere. But not necessarily all three at the same time.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.