The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cleared some around the house and garage. cleaned up an old junk pile that had been there for years and cleared some corners in the back yard by the pond. also cleared some strips in the brush outside of the back yard. planted them all with whitetail institute imperial clover and added some white clover. hopefully I have made some good areas out of some not used areas. we are already loaded with rabbits and the deer are always in the back yard too. planted the seed Friday and it rained Saturday and it was up Monday. it is really coming in good. I will get more/better pictures soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Sounds like you hit the rain perfectly. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nothing for weed control, I cleared it with a tracked skid steer, roughed it up with an old pallet with cement blocks for weight and broadcast the seed. the few weeds I have, I can control by hand until the food plot gets taller. it is about 5-6 inches tall now. I am very happy with the results of the seed, I just wish I would have had one more rain on it at the right time but I think it will fill in nicely. as you can see, I have customers already! I need to get a trail camera up, because I have seen deer in it too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
try Ernst seed in Meadville. I use there fall mix with good results.

·
Registered
476 Posts
BlackPowder,

Nice work. That first crop is always exciting when it sprouts. I never get tired of watching plots grow, a certain satisfaction. ... I hear that WTI seed works well. Guess the proof is in the pudding; or dirt.... Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, a little update on the small food plots. although the weeds really came in without spraying, it hasn't really stopped the deer from getting the clover. I think they have been a huge draw to the deer. the last picture is behind my garage. that plot is about 40' x 60'. the plot in the corner of the back yard is about 10' x 40'.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I also have two clover plots that I planted last fall with Wi. I then frost seeded Biological non typical clover and had to cut it a few times to cut down on some weeds and grass. I did not want to use any herbicide until the plot got established.

My intentions are that next May I will get the herbicides down early.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts