The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking of getting a small gun to carry. I've had a couple of thoughts as to what to get, but just can't make up my mind.

I want it to fit in my pocket. Plain and simple. That is the biggest factor.

I handled a kel-tec 380 my step-sister had yesterday. I liked it. After doing some research kel-tec, Ruger and tauras all make similar guns.

I was originally thinking of a 38 special darringer. Probably a cobra. Mostly because I have a 38 revolver already. It's not a carry gun.

I would like a 9mm as I already have one, and have everything to shoot one. Most of the guns I see are bigger than a pocket gun. Why one MM makes a difference is beyond me, but that is my utmost criteria. It must fit in my pocket.

I like a revolver the most. I like simple, but most aren't pocket guns. I really liked the slimness of the kel-tec.

One thing that concerns me. Pocket lint. How much should I worry about it? It's one of the reasons I was leaning towards a darringer type gun. Few moving parts. Revolvers are just as reliable IMO, but just too bulky.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
893 Posts
my kel tec 3at rides in my front pocket , has for years.
I made a pocket holster for it out of an old eye glass case.
when the snow flies it gets put away until the snow goes away ... at which time I fire it some , clean and carry.
pocket lint has been a none issue for me.
been doing this since the 3at came to market

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
... I like a revolver the most. I like simple, but most aren't pocket guns. ... Any thoughts?
If you decide on a revolver, the S&W 442/642 (5 shot, 38 specials) will conceal easily in a pants pocket with a simple holster, and are not bulky at all. Cost new is around $425.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Take a look at the Keltec PF9 or the P-11
almost as small as the P3AT and would give you your 9mm
I personally carry the 380 - fits anywhere with out any issues

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
hunt/fish365 said:
... I like a revolver the most. I like simple, but most aren't pocket guns. ... Any thoughts?
If you decide on a revolver, the S&W 442/642 (5 shot, 38 specials) will conceal easily in a pants pocket with a simple holster, and are not bulky at all. Cost new is around $425.
Ditto .. I have the .38+P 642 5 shot Airweight light and will fit in your pants pocket no problem and hardly noticeable. A good choice if you want to keep same ammo.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have the .380 Ketl-Tec and a S&W 642 - the Kel-Tec goes along much more than the Smith. The Kel-Tec is just smaller and easier to conceal.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
north american arms makes a 5 shot 22mag pocket pistol that is nothing to shake a stick at. when my buddy showed it to me i thought "yeah right..that thing won't get the velocity necessary to make a difference" but to be BRUTALLY honest, the CCI MaxiMag+V's explode watermelons. They will completely penetrate a whole 12" watermelon from end to end and strike the plywoood behind it with authority.

in the end, there are 2 thoughts on a carry gun. In that brief instant a situation goes from elevated risk level to defcon 5, the perp isn't going to notice whether the hole in the end of the barrel is a quarter inch or a half inch. If it goes bang, and it has the ability to shut them down, then it's suitable. If it is easily concealable, but even MORE important it must be retrievable.

Here's a quick story about a pocket gun and how it did not help to have a gun.

I was working at McD on rt 65 on the closing shift in bellevue about 10 years ago or so. Fred, my night manager (short black man, very stocky, level headed ex marine) was confronted by a man in the parking lot who tried to come thru the drive thru window. Fred got the guy to calm down a bit and everyone went about their business. 20 mins later, Fred was walking the lot, doing the pre-close checklist and cleaning the lot. previous dude approaches fred and they get into it verbally. then dude gets ticked off, reaches into his pocket and says he's gonna shoot fred. the next instant, fred grabbed dudes hand (which is in his pocket fumbling for the pistol) and fred clamped the guys hand with his own, holding his wrist and the top of his jeans. the guy could not get his hand back out of his pocket, and fred OBLITERATED the guys face with his free hand. I've NEVER seen such fury but the guy had no chance. had he successfully pulled the gun from his pocket this would have ended differently. with one quick easy move, the pocket gun was removed from the equation. This one event shaped my thoughts on "pocket carry" weapons forever. I'd sooner carry a wallet holster than a front pocket carry,PERIOD. fumbling in your trousers for a pistol is not the way to meet your maker. use a holster, or maybe even a back pocket carry holster (i think they are called wallet holsters) and make sure you can get to your weapon faster than the guy can get to you. if you have any doubt at all if this can be done, get one of the kids toy guns, and let your buddy run at you as fast as he can while you try to retreive your weapon and put it in a firing position. It ain't easy man...not even close.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Try drawing a firearm from a pocket when you are seated.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Look at the Kahr PM-9.
It's a 9mm similar size to the kel-tec and most other .380 pocket pistols.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
My previous carry gun was a Ruger SP101. It is built like a Tank! In reality too heavy, for me, to carry daily. Wife just bought me a Kel-Tec P3at. Much nicer and hasn`t stovepiped,50 rounds through it, yet. Am going to send for a Desantis Pocket Holster for it. Main reason is to keep it concealed and keep the Butt in reachable position. I have smaller Hands and the Kel-Tec is very easy to control. Might not work as easy with bigger Hands. Only thing I don`t care for is it doesn`t lock the slide back on the last shot.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
I'll toss the Taurus 709 Slim into the mix...9MM.
I bought one a few months back and after 600 flawless rounds of both a hardball & hollow point mix I am pretty confident in it. Which IS saying alot because I was always a die-hard revolver guy for PD.

Glock style take down for cleaning.
Factory polished feed ramp.
Second strike capability.
Recoil for some reason is more managable than other small pistols...design maybe?

Dislikes:
It takes one seriously thorough cleaning right out of the box so add an extra 10 bucks to the price for some Gun-Scrubber or Breake-Free and a spray can of Rem-Oil to saturate it afterwards. There is definately a little Brazilian with a grease fetish employed at Taurus.

PS: Reviews on the 709 are a Love/Hate thing. But those who love them emphasize the initial cleaning.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
jayd4wg said:
north american arms makes a 5 shot 22mag pocket pistol that is nothing to shake a stick at. when my buddy showed it to me i thought "yeah right..that thing won't get the velocity necessary to make a difference" but to be BRUTALLY honest, the CCI MaxiMag+V's explode watermelons. They will completely penetrate a whole 12" watermelon from end to end and strike the plywoood behind it with authority.

in the end, there are 2 thoughts on a carry gun. In that brief instant a situation goes from elevated risk level to defcon 5, the perp isn't going to notice whether the hole in the end of the barrel is a quarter inch or a half inch. If it goes bang, and it has the ability to shut them down, then it's suitable. If it is easily concealable, but even MORE important it must be retrievable.

Here's a quick story about a pocket gun and how it did not help to have a gun.

I was working at McD on rt 65 on the closing shift in bellevue about 10 years ago or so. Fred, my night manager (short black man, very stocky, level headed ex marine) was confronted by a man in the parking lot who tried to come thru the drive thru window. Fred got the guy to calm down a bit and everyone went about their business. 20 mins later, Fred was walking the lot, doing the pre-close checklist and cleaning the lot. previous dude approaches fred and they get into it verbally. then dude gets ticked off, reaches into his pocket and says he's gonna shoot fred. the next instant, fred grabbed dudes hand (which is in his pocket fumbling for the pistol) and fred clamped the guys hand with his own, holding his wrist and the top of his jeans. the guy could not get his hand back out of his pocket, and fred OBLITERATED the guys face with his free hand. I've NEVER seen such fury but the guy had no chance. had he successfully pulled the gun from his pocket this would have ended differently. with one quick easy move, the pocket gun was removed from the equation. This one event shaped my thoughts on "pocket carry" weapons forever. I'd sooner carry a wallet holster than a front pocket carry,PERIOD. fumbling in your trousers for a pistol is not the way to meet your maker. use a holster, or maybe even a back pocket carry holster (i think they are called wallet holsters) and make sure you can get to your weapon faster than the guy can get to you. if you have any doubt at all if this can be done, get one of the kids toy guns, and let your buddy run at you as fast as he can while you try to retreive your weapon and put it in a firing position. It ain't easy man...not even close.
Thats called the 21 foot rule. A bad guy can travel 21 feet before you will be able to draw and fire a shot.

I teach this to new officers. They are shocked that an old man can beat them the the punch. If your hairs on the back of your neck are up.... then gun should be out....

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
I am just suprised the guy announced he was gonna shoot Fred. Around these parts there isn't much discussion...if they are intent on doing you harm, they just slash/shoot you.

Carrying a pocket gun in a pair of jeans I wouldn't reccomend...buy a holster. But if you have one that fits in the slash pocket of your jacket (hands inserted for warmth) it ain't too bad....iffin you don't mind poking a few holes in your coat if need be.

But I agree...you are going to win or lose based on the hairs on the back of your neck.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thank all of you for your input.

As far as not getting a gun out of my pants pockets goes I understand what is being said. With that said I carry nothing right now except a swiss army knife and a phone. My plans don't have it primarily in my pocket, but I want to be able to carry it there if I have to. Think of summer time. Not much in the way to easily conceal anything. I want to be able to have that option.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
PT709 Slim and a crossbreed mini-tuck is gonna be tough to beat.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My buddy (that owns a gun shop) took home a used: LCP. P3AT,709, Micro eagle and a P238. He shot all of them and judged them on comfort to shoot, accuracy, value and reliability. very long story short. The P3AT was tops, followed by the LCP, and then the 709. He did say the P238 was a really accurate shooter and a comfortable shooter but it jammed on him a few times, and is heavy and expensive. from this info he kept the P3AT and put the rest back in the shop. I can say I carry a P3AT everyday for about 2 years now and love it. the gun is ugly and feels terrible in your hand, but it shoots all the time and if accurate close up. It also lays really flat in the pocket.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You'd be suprised (and that's the idea) what you could carry and conceal with the right gun and holster in summertime clothes. Therefore, choose as best you can, don't be in too much of a hurry.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts