The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of slugs dose everyone use i have a remington 870 20g with a rifled barrel what type of slug will shot best out of it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,449 Posts
get a few diffrent brands of sabot slugs then shoot till ya find one that works best in your gun.
remigton,hornady sst,and winchester will be a good place to start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,481 Posts
your gonna have to figure out what type to use. these guns are very finicky when it comes to loads. i shoot 3" copper solids in my 870 and it loves them. i shoot 2 3/4 brenneke's in my ithaca deerslayer cuz it hates everything else and really hates 3". its gonna take some money and a sore shoulder to figure it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,495 Posts
2-3/4" Lightfields work very well in my rifled barrel Mossberg 500 and they are usually about the cheapest saboted slugs available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
Nick, see the slug post in the big game forum, lost of good info posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
and use the search feature. this subject has been beat to death always with the same result.

"get a box of each, and see which ones your gun likes" followed by a bunch of "Try this" and "try that"...

my "try this" is the Hastings Laser Accurate slug - very similar to the lightfield - but can be bought for 8 bucks a box. They do very well...i'm impressed with them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,495 Posts
No reason I can think of, why new users can't ask questions like this? So it happens every year, so do lots of other things of this nature.

One of the best features of this site, is to find answers to questions that folks might have.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
DennyF said:
No reason I can think of, why new users can't ask questions like this? So it happens every year, so do lots of other things of this nature.

One of the best features of this site, is to find answers to questions that folks might have.

never said not to ask...but also search. IMO it's one of the best features of these types of forums. We all want to find someone else that is in our shoes and none of us wants to recreate the wheel.

ASK AWAY...but combine your question with "I have read that many others are using XXX, YYY, and ZZZ...are there any other new products that deserve mention?" and I think this place will continue to grow.

Last year, Hornady SST slugs were touted as some of the most accurate slugs out there...now we hear this year of some first hand accounts of people stating their expansion is somewhat less than desireable. I'd LOVE to do a water test on slugs...but I know NOONE that is willing to sacrifice their swimming pool, especially after I had a slug go thru 3'+ of deer and only stopped before exiting because it hit bone. I have NO doubt in my mind that if not for the femur that slug would have exited, and with a little extra authority at that point too. Who knows what some of the newer slugs will do especially the ballistic tips. Anyone wanna get together at the range? I think between us we can get enough water jugs and duct tape to rig up a good test of the slugs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,449 Posts
jayd4wg said:
DennyF said:
No reason I can think of, why new users can't ask questions like this? So it happens every year, so do lots of other things of this nature.

One of the best features of this site, is to find answers to questions that folks might have.

never said not to ask...but also search. IMO it's one of the best features of these types of forums. We all want to find someone else that is in our shoes and none of us wants to recreate the wheel.

ASK AWAY...but combine your question with "I have read that many others are using XXX, YYY, and ZZZ...are there any other new products that deserve mention?" and I think this place will continue to grow.

Last year, Hornady SST slugs were touted as some of the most accurate slugs out there...now we hear this year of some first hand accounts of people stating their expansion is somewhat less than desireable. I'd LOVE to do a water test on slugs...but I know NOONE that is willing to sacrifice their swimming pool, especially after I had a slug go thru 3'+ of deer and only stopped before exiting because it hit bone. I have NO doubt in my mind that if not for the femur that slug would have exited, and with a little extra authority at that point too. Who knows what some of the newer slugs will do especially the ballistic tips. Anyone wanna get together at the range? I think between us we can get enough water jugs and duct tape to rig up a good test of the slugs
that would be interesting. have a slug test day at a range somewere. have everyone bring there slugguns and a few diffrent brands of sabot slugs. costly yes, but alot could be learned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,212 Posts
I did a water test the other day. I had 2 extra slugs from a box, and 2 empty soda cans. Filled them with water, and shot one of them at 30 yards. All there was was a mist of water. I let me buddy shoot the other one.

I know, not what you were thinking, but it was fun anyways. It just cast me like $6 to shoot 2 cans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,449 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
I did a water test the other day. I had 2 extra slugs from a box, and 2 empty soda cans. Filled them with water, and shot one of them at 30 yards. All there was was a mist of water. I let me buddy shoot the other one.

I know, not what you were thinking, but it was fun anyways. It just cast me like $6 to shoot 2 cans.
yea when i first got my slug gun i wasted 16$ just to rapid fire 5 shells into a target
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,495 Posts
First year I went deer hunting, I was 14. Dad borrowed an uncle's 12ga pump, bought me one 5 pack of 1oz slugs. Shot one at an old 5 gal. pail behind my uncle's barn. Hit the pail, maybe 35 yards?

Wanted to shoot another one. Dad said go ahead, then you'll have a whoppin' 3 of 'em left for tomorrow morning and the day after that.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,449 Posts
DennyF said:
First year I went deer hunting, I was 14. Dad borrowed an uncle's 12ga pump, bought me one 5 pack of 1oz slugs. Shot one at an old 5 gal. pail behind my uncle's barn. Hit the pail, maybe 35 yards?

Wanted to shoot another one. Dad said go ahead, then you'll have a whoppin' 3 of 'em left for tomorrow morning and the day after that.

:)4 years ago i had only ten slugs and thought it wasnt gonna be anough and told ma i was gonna need more. first shot i took droped the buck in his tracks. ended up only needing one round that season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Sabots are so expensive these days that I always carry a couple of old slugs in my pocket in case I have to put a finishing shot in something already down. With the price of Winchester Partition Golds these days I figure I save almost 4 bucks each time I use up some old slug collecting dust in my basement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
Savage 220 with Hornady SST slugs. Those slugs are way fast. if you want to shoot them I caution you to try them on paper they are way too fast or some guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,171 Posts
i heard horror story after horror story about the expense of finding the right slug for your gun.

this year i bought a remington 870 with a cantilever rifled slug barrel. i topped it off with a barska 3x9 IR scope.

i bought 2 boxes of lightfields, 3 boxes of hornady sst, and 3 boxes of brenneke green lightning.

the lightfields and hornadys are sabots and the green lightning have a hard green coating to prevent fouling, they are not sabots.

i called remington, hornady, lightfield and brenneke for advice. all but brenneke told me the same thing i read here, try several different brands and see what your gun likes.

brenneke factory rep for PA told me to buy the green lightning, if it doesnt group he wanted to know why.

at the range, the hornady sst's wouldnt hit the same place twice at 50 yards, the brennekes hit the same place every time. the lightfields were good but not as good as the green lightning.

at 100 yards out of my rifled barrel the green lightnings shoot approx. a 3 inch group, i cleaned the barrel after every 3 or 4 shots, there was no more fouling in my barrel than there is in my 30-06 barrel before cleaning.

save your money on those expensive sabots and get the green lightning slugs for your 870, i just got 7 boxes at kittery trading post (on line) for 52.00. i also got free shipping and no taxes.

this was easy, and the factory rep for brenneke was honest and easy to talk to, he told me the truth from the start and spent a lot of time talking with me.

Brenneke slugs are the only slug used by the alska dept of fish and game for bear and moose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
I use Remington Sabots in my 870 20 gauge and they shoot fine. I buy the ones that come with the Remington rebate.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top