The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all shooting a Mossberg 500, what slugs/sabots shoot best for you? 2-3/4 or 3 inchers and how are your groups?

I'm shooting the cantilever rifled barrel and want to avoid dropping too much $ to try all the brands... not to mention a sore shoulder.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
i'm shooting a 500 with a rifled barrel.. I wouldn't go w/ 3 inch slugs.. If a 2 3/4" isn't enough bullet for you then you must be going for elephants.. I'm shooting the Hornady SST slugs.. They shoot tight groups, and they shoot very flat.. at 50 yds they are about 3 inches high (i'm sighted in at 100).. They are pricey but for the groups they are able to shoot it's worth it.. Hornady advertises 2" groups at 100 yds which is pretty impressive for a bullet that size

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I shoot the 385 gr winchester supremes out of mine. I would stay away from 3" shells as they tend to shoot larger groups.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Mine liked the remington premier copper solids

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My younger brother uses the Remington Buckhammers in his and is very satisfied with the performance.

·
Registered
25,492 Posts
2-3/4" Lightfields in my M500 rifled barrel w/cantilevered scope mount. Generally group close to 2" @ 100 yards. Bought a mess of 'em some years ago, when they were on sale for $8 per box of 5.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Hastings.

On a side note for all you guys running the Mossberg vented barrel...

I spoke with the gentleman from Hastings ammo and he enlightened me to something I had not thought of. On sabots where the wad stays attached during flight, the vents might be the kiss of death for accuracy. Though I'm not displeased at all with the accuracy my slugger shows with hastings and lightfield slugs, he claims it will tighten up considerably if i cut the barrel just behind the vents and have it recrowned. In the interest of tinkering, i'm thinking about it. He says that the slug basically flies like an arrow with two fletchings. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I used an Ithaca 37 with a rifled barel and scope for years in NY. Always had the best accuracy with BRI sabots 2 3/4" 385 grain slugs. Aside from the flinch factor of 3" mags, the 385 grain slugs all cut at 75 yards in 3 round groups.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
jayd4wg said:
Hastings.

On a side note for all you guys running the Mossberg vented barrel...

I spoke with the gentleman from Hastings ammo and he enlightened me to something I had not thought of. On sabots where the wad stays attached during flight, the vents might be the kiss of death for accuracy. Though I'm not displeased at all with the accuracy my slugger shows with hastings and lightfield slugs, he claims it will tighten up considerably if i cut the barrel just behind the vents and have it recrowned. In the interest of tinkering, i'm thinking about it. He says that the slug basically flies like an arrow with two fletchings. Thoughts?
Interesting. I shoot winchester supremes out of my 500. Only thing I ever shot out of it. I tried them, they shot great, so I stayed with them.

On the other hand a friend of mine just got a 500 combo in 20 gauge. We burned up 7 boxes of different slugs. I must say that that gun is the most accurate slug gun I have ever seen. Even with the cheapo 2.5x scope that came with it. Just about ever slug shot with it made one ragged hole at 50 yards.....Except the Hastings and lightfields. Those got around 3-4 inches.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I guess I only half finished my thought on the first post. the reason stated for the erratic flight of wad attached slugs was due to the ports shaving off bits of plastic imparting a bit of drag to the portions where the shavings occur.

On the Mossy slug barrel, these ports are at 10 and 2, and there is nothing at 6 o'clock. He said either add the ports there to balance things out, or cut the barrel. easier and cheaper to cut the barrel. I'm not really prepared to do either.

On another side note - my gun LOVES the hornady slugs...but price and down range performance are steering me away from them. besides...every deer I ever hit with the all lead slug went DOWN with authority. I like not having to chase deer after the shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts