The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good quality highly accurate slug gun. Most of my shots will probably be 50-75 yards, but sometimes reaching 100 and would like to be able to reach out to 150 if need be. Should I go with a bolt, pump, 20ga, 12 ga, and what make and model?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
remigton model 870 12ga with a cantelever scope mount. I just got one last year and with the right ammo its just as good as most rifles up to 100yds.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
The NEF Ultra Slugger in 20ga.(If you can find one)Its a single shot but you won't need more than 1 shot.

·
Registered
653 Posts
How much money are you wanting to pay? I paid 1,200 for my tar hunt gun.... my 1 and only mistake on getting 1 is that i ordered matte finish... now it's horrible with rusting

http://www.tarhunt.com

getting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with my slugs... more then most people can say

·
Registered
260 Posts
I looked at the Tarhunt and they Seem to be the most recomended forthise with an unlimited budget. I am also in the market. I just looked at the Benelli supernova 12ga at Cabellas this past weekend. It sure was sweet and it has iron sights for when your in the thick stuff up close. I won't buy till I look at the Browning BPS as well. Also thinking 20ga may be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Best one for the money in my opinion is the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter as mentioned above. I have one in 12 but will probably buy a 20 next year sometime. They are accurate and efficient. Granted not the prettiest guns but they work and can be had in the $300 range give or take depending on configuration.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
two words, ITHACA DEERSLAYER. or the tried and true 870, like turkey4life said.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
My Mossberg 500 shoots great. My buddies 870 is quite a bit lighter, but his has iron sights.

Another friend of mine got a Mossberg 500 20 gauge this year. It is the best shooting slug gun I ever saw. One ragged hole at 50 yards with the garbage 2.5x scope that came with it. It only kicks about like a 270. The only thing about his is that the faster the load the worse it shoots. I think he paid around $300 for the combo gun.

If I were to buy another one today that is what I would buy.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
turkey4life said:
remigton model 870 12ga with a cantelever scope mount. I just got one last year and with the right ammo its just as good as most rifles up to 100yds.
What he said. If I did it over again, I would probably buy a used 870(older model) and replace the barrel with a new rifled 23" barrel. You wont get any more reliable than an 870.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Another option besides the Tar-Hunt is if you can find a Browning A-Bolt Slug gun. There are a few around and they shoot really good. Just another thought that probably won't cost as much.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
mackgee said:
Another option besides the Tar-Hunt is if you can find a Browning A-Bolt Slug gun. There are a few around and they shoot really good. Just another thought that probably won't cost as much.
Or a Mossberg 695 bolt slug gun. Amazingly accurate. Comparted to the TarHunts on some pieces I've read at a quarter of the price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
not to hi jack this thread but im in the market too for a nice slug gun with a limited budget. did they make the 695 in 20 guage? i cant seem to find any literature about them

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Just bought a 695 from a member on here. I also have a 24" Hastings barrel for my 870. The Hastings barrel will average about 2" at 100, but I've shot three-shot cloverleafs a few times, too. I'll probably be selling the Hastings once I have the Mossberg sorted out and ready to roll.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Marlin 512 Slugmaster

It's a 12g bolt that will shoot 2.75 or 3.00". This gun extremely accurate out to 125yds. Beyond that...I generally don't shoot even with a rifle.

·
Super Moderator
12,650 Posts
Not made anymore and were made in limited quantities?? The Browning A-Bolt is very accurate and probably pricey if you can find one.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I heard that FLDBRED I had my winchester 1300 for about 20 years , she will put the slugs back in the box at 100 yds all day long. love it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts