The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recoil of a 12 guage with a 2 3/4 shell?
What is the recoil of a 20 gauge with a 3 shell?

I have shot a winchester 1300 with a 3" shell and it kicks the snot outta ya, looking at purchasing a slug gun, hear lots of people optiming for the 20 gauge because of recoil. I want to be able to shoot 125 yards and am considering a Mossberg 500. Just curious at home much recoil the gun produces. I hear a 20 gauge is not worse than a 243, but I know that a 12 gauge kicks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a 20 ga. encore and love it. I always heard to stay with the 2 3/4 shells. Mine likes the Hornaday SST. Use to shoot 12 ga but just no fun.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm with Blueeagle... I have the same set-up and also shoot the 2-3/4" 20ga. Deadly combination. There's just no need for all the 12ga. recoil.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
what? slug guns dont kick

all kiding aside get you a good recoil pad and there harmless. truley it all depends on the gun. some will nock your teeth out and some are reasonable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have hunted with a 20ga 870 for the last 15 years. It's a smoothebore and I shoot 2-3/4" Remington sluggers. I would say its comparable to the .243 recoil, maybe just a little stiffer. You won't notice it shooting at deer. 125 yards is about the max I would push any slug gun, but thats just me. I hear alot of talk about people shooting much further, but I gotta see to believe.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
put a big buck in front of you, you wont be able to tell if your shooting a .22 or a 10gauge.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Friend of mine just bought a 20 gauge mossberg 500 combo last year. I have the same gun, but in 12 gauge. I wish I would have bought the 20.

We did a lot of load testing with his this year, and after firing about 15 boxes of different ammo away I will say it is about like my 270. Maybe a bit less. We shot all 2 3/4" out of it. In his case the faster the slug the worse it shot. Didn't matter the brand. There was no point in trying 3" shells in it. The best grouping we got was from the winchester super X sabots. We got all 5 rounds touching at 50 yards. Those shot somewhere around 1500 fps. The recol was also very light, and it only shot about an inch low at 100 yards. Winchester supremes shot really good at 1700 fps, but not quite as good as the super X. The supreme golds at 1900 fps were starting to throw patterns. The recoil was also starting to get a lot harder. We tried several other brands of ammo, but he settled on the super X as they shot great, and were dirt cheap.

My 12 gauge however.......Likejun1or said above, you will never notice the kick when there is a big buck in front of you. That's the only time. The recoil of my gun is severe at the bench. I honestly just don't like shooting it, and I love to shoot. My buddy with the 20 gauge shot mine while we were out, and he said he would never shoot it again. I can tolerate about 10 rounds before it had to go away.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
on the bench, im HATE all three of my slug guns. its just abuse with a 12 gauge. luckily i only have to put one shell through them in the fall to make sure they are still on. my next slug gun will be a 20 gauge, to experiment with.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think what people are forgetting to say is about the weight of the slug..shooting a 1-1/2oz slug compared to a 300 grain slug is gona be alot different in recoil

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The way I look at it the 260 grain slug at 1500-1700 fps out of a 20 gauge still had more energy at 100 yards than a 44 mag has at the muzzle.

The 12 is popular because that is what every body always shot. The 20 gauge foster style slugs always left something to be desired. My brother did shoot a nice 8 point with my 20 gauge pump with a bead sight though.

With todays slugs there is no reason to go with a 12 gauge unless you are hunting moose or big bears. When I skinned the deer I shot this past year with a 12 gauge it confirmed that a 12 was "overkill". The entire off side rib cage was bloodshot. Even at 102 yards where I would think that slug would have slowed down enough to cause nothing more than a big hole. Those things are just nasty on anything that gets hit by them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have the Rem 870 express combo. With the rifled barrel on it I shoot the 2 3/4 or 3" partition golds. They both shoot well out of my gun. 3" is brutal and truthfully no need for the 100 fps. I will stick with the 2 3/4 there is pleanty of recoil just out of them. Maybe down the road with more age and wisdom I will down grade to a 20 ga. For now and a few years to come. I will stick with the 12 ga. No problem shooting out to 150 or in a push 175. Not sure I would take the same attitude with the 20 ga.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm a recoil sissy too. Looking into one of the Caldwell Lead Sleds. Plan on using it to dial in new guns, scopes or loads, then once I get the gun where I want it, I will remove the gun from the Lead Sled and shoot 3 rounds off the bags, and then 3 off-hand.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The whole notion of "you wont feel the gun kick while you are shooting at a trophy" is BS. Shooting habits arent developed while shooting at deer. Habits are developed while practicing and sighting in. I myself dont mind recoil at all, but I TOTALLY understand those that do.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I saw a man shoot a 5 in. group a few years ago with a 20 ga. At 200 yards! It was enough to sell me on the 20. I would be willing to say, anything you can kill with a 12, you can kill with a 20. JMO

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I shoot 2 3/4 out of my 870, like others, I have never seen the need for 3". One thing that I did, aside from getting a new recoil pad installed and investing in an additional slip on pad, was get the barrel ported. I found that once I got the barrel ported, the recoil became considerably more bearable. Now I can go 25+ rounds out of it before I cry uncle, which was unheard of for me before.

·
Registered
605 Posts
In my area of NY, I had to use slugs for 25 years until rifles were made legal 5 years ago. Shooting those slugs gave me a flinch I still battle today! Worst thing for young hunters ever invented. Just imagine starting a youngster out with a .300 or .338 magnum-nobody would ever do that.

The last 2 years we were resticted to slug guns, I used my Encore. Shooting a 250 gr. sabot with a 110 grains of loose T7 was a joy compared to a 12 gauge slug.

If I had to use a slug gun, I would pick up a 20 gauge semi-auto. My fiance used a Remington 1100, and shooting that was comparable to my light weight 7mm-08.

Will

Will

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
When I was 12 I was handed a 12 gauge sythetic 870 with open sights. I was a small 12 year old also. Long story short, I missed 13 times before I ever connected with a deer. I was purchased a 20 gauge youth model and I was good to go at that point.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I am not a fan of recoil by ANY stretch.
That said, my scoped 500 12 ga w/ 2 3/4 shells really doesn't kick much IMO. Shooting the copper solids with a good rest I would EASILY shoot to 150 yds without worry.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
BuckFever101 said:
What is the recoil of a 12 guage with a 2 3/4 shell?
What is the recoil of a 20 gauge with a 3 shell?

I have shot a winchester 1300 with a 3" shell and it kicks the snot outta ya, looking at purchasing a slug gun, hear lots of people optiming for the 20 gauge because of recoil. I want to be able to shoot 125 yards and am considering a Mossberg 500. Just curious at home much recoil the gun produces. I hear a 20 gauge is not worse than a 243, but I know that a 12 gauge kicks.

My son's 20 ga Mossberg Bantam kicks like a mule shooting 2 and 3/4" slugs. It kicks a lot more than his .243. A .243 really doesn't have much recoil compared to a light slug gun. I think his 20 ga kicks more that my 12 ga slug gun. This year I got him a ported barrel for his 20 ga and that helped. I would never buy 3" slugs for a 20 or 12 ga.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts