The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I going to be using my slug gun for the first time in 15 years. What kind of 12 gauge slugs do you recommend? I don't want to buy tons of different slugs before deciding on a good one. My old arm may not take the kick!
Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
ide hate to break it to you but each gun shoots each kind of slugs differently. my father and I have 3 mossberg 695's 2 of them shoot the federal 2.75" barns 3/4 oz expander bullets pretty well. the other one is decent but not to my liking at 100 yds even though they are said to be 200 yard slugs. what kind of gun are you shooting?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Where we hunt in MD, it's "slugs only" so I have some first hand knowledge on this topic.
Jayk1410 is correct: different slugs, different slugs, different results.
Lightfields seem to receive very consistent + reports.
Again, it depends on the firearm.
My Ithaca M-87 looks the Walmart Winchesters BRI.

Good point about the cost for ten different brands and loads.

I'd recommend that you try at least three different brands and then learn to shoot the firearm with the best load.

You might have to limit your shots to 100 yards or less.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thats good point artsmag, it really makes a difference the farther you shoot. ive found that guns that shoot good at 50 yards with some loads are all over the place at 100

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
lighthouse said:
I going to be using my slug gun for the first time in 15 years. What kind of 12 gauge slugs do you recommend? I don't want to buy tons of different slugs before deciding on a good one. My old arm may not take the kick!
Thanks
Does your slug gun have a rifled barrel or smooth bore? In rifled barrels sabots are recommended, smooth bores usually shoot foster style slugs.

·
Super Moderator
13,700 Posts
The guys are right identical guns sometime/often shoot the same slugs differently.

My combo is: Browning A Bolt, rifle choke, Winchester 3" 1400 FPS Std. Velocity 1 oz slug with load XRS123.

I constantly get 1 1/2"< groups at 100 yds. I would probably get better groups if I invested in a more powerful scope than my Leopold 1X4. However I am happy at this time.

In the 60-80's I was lucky to get a 4" group at 75 yds. with my smooth bore Ithaca but I had fun and shot deer.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
I'm in a shotgun state also, I have a smoothbore slug barrel and I have good luck with Rem and with Federal....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I do lot of muzzleloading , so I know what you mean about each gun shooting differently. I will be using a Mossberg 500 with a rifeled barrel.

·
Registered
897 Posts
scoot over to DE and buy some ammo (no sales tax).
One of the biggest problems I've encountered is this:
availability of ammo that works in your firearm.

I will defer to Born2Hunt with his Browning A-bolt: top of the line, long distance shootin' machines.

BTW, do yourself a favor and invest in a quality rifle scope -- I have a Nikon Buckmasters and am pleased.
The "shotgun" scopes simply can't handle the recoil.

·
Super Moderator
13,700 Posts
I find that the choke guns often shoot better groups with the slower FPS slugs.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I use a mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and it loves the hornady SST 300gr FTX slug

My 20 gauge not as much but havent had a chance to work on that one yet.

Do yourself a favor and get/borrow a lead sled.
do your test shooting from it. get it dialed in once you find your slug. Then abuse your shoulder. Not before.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have to bite the bullet and buy a couple of different brands. Truth be told, my 20 ga. mossberg with a rifled barrel actually shoots the Brenneke K.O. slugs, (designed for smooth barrels, but you can use them in rifled barrels too) pretty well and they're only $5

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
4cslabs said:
I use a mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and it loves the hornady SST 300gr FTX slug

My 20 gauge not as much but havent had a chance to work on that one yet.

Do yourself a favor and get/borrow a lead sled.
do your test shooting from it. get it dialed in once you find your slug. Then abuse your shoulder. Not before. [/quote

This is a prime example of how identical guns shoot different slugs well. labs has a 500 that shoot sst's well and I shoot a group the size of a piece of notebook paper. I did find Remington copper solids shoot very well.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
lighthouse-

Is your shotgun scoped? If not you may want to consider it. Not that shooting an open site slug gun is difficult it can just get hard past 50yds. Like others have said (stinks, but) try different ammo. I have 4 different slug guns and I use 3 different types of ammo because thats what groups best. My Ithaca shoots Horandy sst's great. I get clover leaves at 100yds (ps not using them anymore not happy with the damage they do). I will soon test lightfield hybrids and federal barnes through my Ithaca 87. My moss500 shoots rem copper solids. My ithaca smoothbore shoots rem sluggers and the smoothbore 500 shoots rem sluggers (brenneke's are a very close second if I didn't have remington sluggers).

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The Great Orator said:
Have to bite the bullet and buy a couple of different brands. Truth be told, my 20 ga. mossberg with a rifled barrel actually shoots the Brenneke K.O. slugs, (designed for smooth barrels, but you can use them in rifled barrels too) pretty well and they're only $5
if you don't mind cleaning the lead out of the grooves in your barrel.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Two final suggestions (am sure others will have an opinion about this:
once you find the best shooting brand of slugs, buy a case and then site-in again. I have noticed some variation in performance with the same brand of slugs. A lot of us want the slugs to come from the same "lot."

Second: buy a box of Foster style slugs and use them as your "coup de grace" slug. Makes no sense to use a $4 slug to finish off a deer when a fifty sent slug wil suffice.

You will probably do this only two or three times a season.
So the lead fouling to a rifled barrel is minimal.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Another vote for Lightfields. I've had and set up several rifled slug guns. While some may have done minutely better with other ammo, the Lightfield had the best overall results. If you're willing to pay shipping, I have a variety of several different sabot slugs (2-5 of each) I would gladly send you to try. They are just sitting here. Fusions, Remington Copper, Horndays.

·
Super Moderator
13,700 Posts
Good advise on buying a stash of the proven ammo, but I sure hope I do not have to use 2-3 finish off shots a season....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts