The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how well they actually work. Was thinking of buying another barrel for my son's ten 11-87 20 gauge but the choke would be much cheaper. Already have a scope mount on barrel for turkey hunting.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
This was about 20 years ago, but I had a rifled choke in an 11-87 and was not impressed with it. As I recall I tried the Rem copper solids, activs and some type of Federal shell and could not get satisfactory groups with any of them. I'm talking 7 to 8 inch groups at 50 yards.
With developments that have taken place since then, who knows??? My preference would be the fully rifled barrel.

·
Registered
12,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kudu58 said:
This was about 20 years ago, but I had a rifled choke in an 11-87 and was not impressed with it. As I recall I tried the Rem copper solids, activs and some type of Federal shell and could not get satisfactory groups with any of them. I'm talking 7 to 8 inch groups at 50 yards.
With developments that have taken place since then, who knows??? My preference would be the fully rifled barrel.
This is my fear in that it really wouldn't do much. Based upon the responses, I guess they aren't that popular either. I have some time, so I may see if I find a used complete setup as well, so I don't have to switch barrels.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I remember a hunt I was on with a friend... He barrowed a Model 12 pump to hunt deer.. Along comes and buck and he kills it dead... He was using Foster Slug in it... He said " I Aimed For The Shoulder And Hit It Right In the Head!" He actually blew off one of the antlers with the Foster impact to the Cranial!!! I don't know what the choke was of the shotgun... Being that it was fixed probably Full or Modified..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.