The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..Compared to last year this time.

..Last year this time, we had 16 yotes down...this year since July 1....5. That includes a skunked August. Some of the properties last year we put a good hurting on..shooting 5-10 in a short period of time.

..Many properties this year had crops/fields planted/prepped apprx 2 weeks earlier...which in turn left us looking for late soy bean and cut hay oat fields in July.

..also...we've been hunting virtually all new properties..most with full crops and small hay/cattle fields..so our scouting and set-up learning curve has been from "at the moment".

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
Limbhnger10, I got a few calls this spring/summer to solve nuisance Coyote problems.
My nuisance Coyote hunting was the same in the past. But extremely hot this summer. The Hot weather helped somewhat because Coyotes weren't traveling far.

With nuisance Coyotes, all the properties are new to me. Scouting, property owner input & a plan is a must.
My plan may be calling from neighbors property for better setup or just flopping down next to the barn and calling. Each situation is different with the same goal in mind.
Property owners are looking for fast results not excuses.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There was about a month long period of time this summer when we saw/heard zero dogs. No answers to interrogation howls, not even seeing one driving. I guess I can't complain since I've put 8 down so far this year. We do need some new properties though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There was about a month long period of time this summer when we saw/heard zero dogs. No answers to interrogation howls, not even seeing one driving. I guess I can't complain since I've put 8 down so far this year. We do need some new properties though.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep Hern..it's great when a landowner calls or text to give coyote updates or harvest schedule....and to be able to talk to them about how we would like to approach their property...the importance of wind direction, visibility and what limitations, if any they give us. Some of our best set-ups have been the simplest.

Many landowners said they haven't heard or seen them for 2 months(July/August)...which was in line with what our contacts in OH and western NY said..

The weather up here wasn't too bad July/August...getting nice now..low 40s-low 50s at night..

..the 2 coyotes we shot this weekend(black one and tan one)(males) ...They (3)took an hour+ after they last responded and a gutsy call relocation due to wind change. They were all males....the first one walked into corn with the others on tow...

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
Yep Hern.. it's great when a landowner calls or text to give coyote updates or harvest schedule....and to be able to talk to them about how we would like to approach their property...the importance of wind direction, visibility and what limitations, if any they give us. Some of our best set-ups have been the simplest.

Am always happy to talk with landowner. They can pinpoint where they see or hear Coyotes, which is a big help when cold rolling. One question I always ask- When did you see or hear them, the last time? If it was recent, good. If it was months ago, may not be so good.

I don't rely on hearsay. You know what I'm talking about if you hunted or trapped Coyotes for some time... your neighbor's friend has a cousin, his wife's grandpa hears Coyote howling all-the-time. ALL THE TIME!

Sorry I got off topic
Calling will pickup when cover and crops come off.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Really would like to kill one of them dark coyotes, never seen one out here. Congratulations on a successful night of calling.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank guys...first really dark phase...I've called in and missed them before during light hours...In the dark with red you really can't tell if they're real dark phase...i could see there was a great contrast between the jaw and face /neck

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...actually took the dark one to get tanned....was told fur was in surprisingly great shape for September.

...I'm no expert but all the coyotes since July have been fairly decent fur wise....

..we usually don't start taking them till end of October....but we made an exception for it.

·
Registered
17,938 Posts
might be an indicator of a very cold winter, maybe an early winter.

Reactions: NorthernPotterCo

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
might be an indicator of a very cold winter, maybe an early winter.
Naw, I don't feel it's an indicator of early winter. Summer/September fur is soft, shiny & silky. It's pretty, but not prime. Look at pics, neck, back and hind quarters fur is short or 'weak'. The under fur hasn't thicken or guard hairs haven't lengthen. Just saying.
Nice to get the Black one tanned.

·
Registered
17,938 Posts
good points :)

Reactions: NorthernPotterCo

·
Registered
18,432 Posts
Yes, normally I don't start hunting until fur is prime, which is around the first or second week of November. I do have the itch to get out for yotes however. I've only shot a handful by calling. The majority of mine have come in front of hounds. What does have me concerned is that it appears the grey fox population is way down in my area. I saw very few last season as well.

·
Registered
17,938 Posts
i think yotes eat foxes. territorial thing ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
The last 2 males I've shot have been very nice for september fur wise.

Reactions: bohunr
1 - 20 of 20 Posts