The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went out today even though I didn't expect to have good action. I went to a well known limestone stream, parked my car and walked downstream. The action was slow as expected. I only caught two wild browns in the first 20 minutes so I decided to try a small Countdown Rapala. The action picked up a little. I caught four trout and lost four others in the remainder of the hour.

I dropped a cast perfectly against the bank and immediately felt extra weight. I set the hook and felt the weight of a heavy fish. After a few minutes I was able to land the big brown. It measured 17 3/4 inches.

Five more trout came to hand in the second hour. Another three got off. All of them hit the Countdown Rapala.

Earlier in the hour, a female mallard with two ducklings swam upstream past me on the left side. A short while later I saw the female struggling mightily. She was pushing the surface of the water with her wings. She was fighting something under the surface. She was able to get close to the bank but couldn't get out. I walked up to see if my suspicion was correct. As I got closer, I could see that a small snapping turtle was trying to pull her under. Normally, I do not believe in interfering with the happenings of nature, but I knew if snapper was successful that the two ducklings were doomed. I put my wading staff on the head of the snapper. After a few seconds, he let go and the mallard took off noisily downstream. Her offspring quickly followed. The ambitious snapping turtle swam under the bank and disappeared. It was a very unique experience and made it worth the trip.

The action slowed as I neared my car. I only landed two more small trout. Another car had pulled up and two anglers were getting ready to hit the creek. I knew they were going to go upstream ahead of me, so I got out and went to a section of the creek I hadn't fished this year.

There was a big construction project in that section last year and it was not kind to the habitat. Some deflectors were put in the stream, so we'll see if they help.

I fished that stretch for 45 minutes and caught six trout, but all were on Niti spoons. I don't use <span style="text-decoration: underline">Nitis</span> much, but they sometimes produce when spinners or plugs don't. One of the trout that hit was a not very pretty rainbow, but at 20 3/4 inches, it was big. The picture did not come out well. The picture of a 14 1/2 inch rainbow turned out better.

I tried one other section for about 45 minutes and only caught two trout on spinners.

I left there to go to the upper section of a tributary stream. I caught two wild browns of 9 and 10 1/2 inches rather quickly but was startled when I put my hand in the water to release the second trout. The water felt warm. I took the water temperature and it was a shocking 72. I had never seen a water temperature that warm there. I got out and walked back to my car. I drove closer to the mouth where the stream is much colder. Again the action was slow as the stream has likely been fished within the last couple of days. I caught only three wild browns and missed a couple others.

I decided that was enough for the day. My total for the day was only 27 trout in 5 1/4 hours, but I did manage to catch two big trout and witness something truly unique.

·
20,190 Posts
Wow! Fate.......plain and simple. There is no way that duck is surviving that without you there. That snapper would have held on forever. Most likely it's why she only had 2 offspring. The rest have been pulled under. Snappers probably kill more ducklings then anything else, maybe combined.

Other than that, very nice hard working day there man!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I have seen snapping turtles in streams, they've never been aggressive. They either head straight for the nearest bank or just duck into their shell. I think as long as you keep your hands away from them you're fine.

I've seen a few snapping turtles in that stream in the past few years, but none were big.

I saw a very large one in a Small SC limestone stream several years ago. It was the size of a small garbage pail lid.

I've had them hiss when they are out of the water. They can't escape as easily so I think they tend to be more aggressive.

I think it's cool to see a throwback to the dinosaurs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts