The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i GOT some slick tricks. How good are these heads and do they fly jus like a field point. and what kind of blood treail do they leave on a deer??

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
I use the 4 blade, 100 grain Magnums and they punch beautiful holes in deer. Last year was great... my deer had TWO blood trails, one from the entry wound and other from the exit. It worked out good... gave my hunting partner something to do while we tracked my deer.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Great heads and they fly just like your BH's but I got a terrible hiss from them, so I had to switch. That hiss drove me nuts.

·
Registered
265 Posts
they are great heads, but definitely practice with them before going in the woods. i had to make some minor adjustments to my rest to get them in tune. but they do fly great and are killing machines.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
outdoorsman21 said:
i GOT some slick tricks. How good are these heads and do they fly jus like a field point. and what kind of blood treail do they leave on a deer??
1.They're by far my favorite BH
2.They'll fly like fieldpoints if your bow is properly set-up and tuned
3.Blood trails are more a function of shot placement than BH type.With good shot placement,you shouldn't even need a blood trail the vast majority of the time.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
BigPoppa said:
Great heads and they fly just like your BH's but I got a terrible hiss from them, so I had to switch. That hiss drove me nuts.
I also get a hiss but have never had a deer react to it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I myself have never noticed a hiss, ill have to check that out the next time i practice. I just switched to them this year and all i know is that they are the best flying heads i have ever used.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've shot two bucks with them and neither bled all that much. However, neither made it more than 50 yards. I was able to see both deer fall from my stand. My buddy also shot a buck with them last year and hit too far forward and hit the shoulder. The arrow still penetrated to the opposite shoulder and the deer was down within 100 yards. They fly great and I've never noticed the hiss.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I've killed over 30 deer with slick tricks.So far,only one has made it out of sight and it was hit way too far back but still recovered.Some bleed like crazy and some bleed very little.Blood trails are more a function of where you hit them,what you hit and at what angle.Any sharp broadhead is going to produce hemorrhaging.

·
Registered
52 Posts
dce said:
I've killed over 30 deer with slick tricks.So far,only one has made it out of sight and it was hit way too far back but still recovered.Some bleed like crazy and some bleed very little.Blood trails are more a function of where you hit them,what you hit and at what angle.Any sharp broadhead is going to produce hemorrhaging.

wow 30 deer...I thought slick tricks just came out a few years ago. Where are you doing all that killing?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
There is an archery only area with a lot of dmaps for sale where he lives, plus the regular tags and licenses. If you kill 5 or 6 deer a year, it doesn't take long for them to add up. I think I've been using slick tricks for 5 or 6 years now, maybe longer

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Slick tricks were introduced in 2000 so 30 deer is not outlandlish even for a non traveling bowhunter

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
scruboakman said:
dce said:

wow 30 deer...I thought slick tricks just came out a few years ago. Where are you doing all that killing?
I started using ST's in 2003 when you actually had to buy them directly from the guy who makes them.He wasn't set up to market them commercially until the last few years.

I usually kill between 4-6 deer a year with a bow.I killed 10 in just the last two years.In all honesty,it's actually probably closer to 40 because I left out some Ohio kills.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
dce said:
scruboakman said:
dce said:

I started using ST's in 2003 when you actually had to buy them directly from the guy who makes them.He wasn't set up to market them commercially until the last few years.

I usually kill between 4-6 deer a year with a bow.I killed 10 in just the last two years.
This post made me curious about when they were introduced so I emailed the company and they replied that the slick tricks were introduce in 2000 at the AMO convention. In my opinion a good choice of broadhead

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I first read about them on Archery talk and decided to give them a try.Back then,you'd call the owner of the company on the phone to place your order.The original blades weren't very sharp so I would have to touch them up before using them.The new blades are a huge improvement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts