The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a winter camping trip soon and started going through my gear. I haven't used my sleeping pad in abfew years and whe I took it out of storage iI found that it had split along three sides.

It makes me reluctant to pay another $100+ on a self-inflating pad. Mine was made (labeled anyway) by Cabelas - made in China. I'm wondering if Therm-A-Rest would end up doing the same thing? Does anyone recommend a good sleeping pad for sub-freezing backpacking?

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
I use a military close cell foam pad. They last and require zero maintenance.

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
BTW they are cheap and if needed you could use wire ties to lace two together.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I actually have 2 of those army foam mats. They are good for the money and have kept me warm on fairly cold ground. I am looking for something fir single digits though.

I also have trouble trusting the air cushions because I tend to be rough on gear and my dog sleeps in the tent too (toe nails). I see Thermarest has a really well-rated inflatable (http://m.rei.com/product/881575/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-sleeping-pad). I would consider it but a hole would cost me $200.

I am leaning toward a self inflating since it has foam inside and even if punctured it will provide insulation. They are heavier but I'm pretty strong. Maybe when I get older I'll worry more about weight.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have 2 thermarest sleeping pads as well as a thermarest sitting pad (20"x20"). Love em!!!

My mats (all of them) get used a lot. I've used in single digit backpacking trips, and it functioned well. My mats are also used in the house regularly for kids sleepovers, and even on the floor for game night. Dogs walk all over them, no problems with mine.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Dogface said:
I use a military close cell foam pad. They last and require zero maintenance.
x2. But I also spent 12 days in Alaska in a nylon tent in the Yukon-Charley Wilderness area on a thermarest in subfreezing temps and it was quite good.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My thermarests are self inflating with a layer of foam on the inside...i store rolled up tightly.
when the valve is opened the foam expands and draws in air and inflates. If you want it firmer, you simply blow till you achieve desired firmness and then close the valve.
To deflate, open the valve and roll tightly,then close valve.

I ditched the army surplus style foam bed rolls long ago, I can roll my thermarest up tighter, and it provides more comfort for me.

So to answer your question, they are self-inflating foam air mattresses! Lol.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Brine I was always under the impression of storing the Thermo rests inflated. Which is what I do Sounds like you haven't had any issue though. I do like the thermo-rests. have used for many years.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
No issues storing them rolled up at all.
Most of the time they are stored rolled up, and standing on end.
Secured with a length of rope.

Though they have also seen ample time inflated, awaiting use after being slid under the couch.

No problems either way it seems.
They are a GREAT product.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I have 5 thermarests, 2 of them over 30 years, 2 others probably 20 years, and the most recent an ultralight 10+ years. Don't know the terms thermarest uses but 2 are kind of a regular size that I use on tent hunting, canoeing, and motorcycle trips, 2 are more of a camp model thicker wider and longer that I use with some sort of vehicle camping, and my ultralight I use for solo backpacking and hunting trips where I'm moving regularly carrying everything on my back. I've never had an issue with them. I'll be heading out tomorrow for a few tent days but it won't be a moving backpacking trip just out and setup so because of the expected temps I'm taking the camp model. I have literally used them all over North America especially with cross country bike trips. A few family multiple week canoeing trips to Algonquin and other places in northern Ontario.

Last year did a 19K mile bike trip including haul road to Prudhoe Bay and Dempster highway to Inuvik NWT, 6 weeks, camped extensively throughout Alaska, all of Canada from Newfoundland to the Yukon and the US northern rockies. I don't even consider that they might fail.

I've used them on (6) 1 week long hunting trips on Prince of Wales Alaska, 1 week goat hunting on Kodiak Island, 1 week caribou hunting Koliganek Alaska, 10 days moving everyday with daughter backpacking in the Brooks range, not sure how many days/trips solo backpacking in the Alaska Range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts