The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am running sleepycreek 13/4 4coiled centerswiveled baseplated for fox and coyote but today i had a coyote pull out of a set so my ? is should i start running my number 3 4coiled beaver traps for coyote and pray a fox don't get in one for fear of leg damage any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
972 Posts
The coyote may have been toe caught. The Sleepy Creeks are fine most of the time.
Are you positive it was a coyote?

Also, I have caught fox in #3's with no problems on the legs. Reds that is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had the same problem with the 13/4 offset the regular jaw sleepycreeks ididnt have aproblem with ihad 2 doz brand new ones that itraded for 1.75 bridgers kinda lost faith in the sleepycreeks

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
If it didn't damage the trap, you can't blame the trap.
Lots and lots of coyotes have been held in #1.5 of all makes and models from dukes to MB550s.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
positive it was a coyote the farmer seen it it the trap around 730 this morning i got there to check at 815 i'm useing offset jaw would it be better to switch to a regular jaw

·
Registered
161 Posts
If they are like the 13/4 Sleepys I had, you could literally pull the jaws of a snapped trap open far enough to insert you finger without touching the levers. Something about the jaw design makes them so they don't lock up. Stick a large screw driver in and twist and they pop open easily. They would not hold fox or coon, period. I had regular jaws put in them and they worked fine, but were hard on coon, so I sold them.
I'm sure they hold coyotes fine with high foot catches, but I'm not into playing catch and release...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fairchild i'm not blameing the trap i wanted to make sure the trap was big enough to hold a coyote as i have never used them before or have i tryed to catch a coyote till this year it was probly more of bad pan placement on my part because the set was intened for redfox so i had the trap placed closer to the hole and had the pan tention lowered for fox so the trap may have fired to quick

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I had the same problem a couple years ago. Popped the jaw right out on 1 3/4 Offset Sleepy. I'm not too big on the offsets anymore since then.

Pawsonpan has good advice. Switch to regular jaws. I have #3 offset Sleepies and would much rather not use them for fox at all. I bought the Sleepy Creek brand because they are <span style="font-weight: bold">American</span> made from the place in West Virginia I love to hunt. I'm personally ready to invest in a dozen MB550's because they are also made in the U.S. but also because they are ready to go right out of the box...after cleaning of course.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Banjoman, That must've been a very frustrating moment right there. Maybe it wasn't a yote that did that, I'd bet it was a mountain lion... You won't have any problems with the jaws popping out on the 550's btw...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with offsets, IMO, and popped out jaws just mean you need to think about bending up the jaw tips.
But unless they've changed them, the Sleepy Offsets have a design flaw that makes for lousy "lock up"

These BMI offsets on the other hand, are holding machines.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have a dozen MB450s and a dozen 550s love them. I bought Bridger 3 for beaver due to the size and price. No offsets here

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have the round pan Sleepy's offset and put #2 music springs on and haven't had a problem since. Two coyotes 2 years ago one full pad catch the other by 3 toes. No issues . Last season one by 2 toes and no issues. Probably by one toe you will lose one. I would rather catch them in bigger traps but I have faith in mine. That popped jaw was more likely from biting than powering out. IMO. Don't think Mark June had many issues with them when he used them and Leggets like them better than Victors for catching coyotes.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Furdog said:
I have the round pan Sleepy's offset and put #2 music springs on and haven't had a problem since. Two coyotes 2 years ago one full pad catch the other by 3 toes. No issues . Last season one by 2 toes and no issues. Probably by one toe you will lose one. I would rather catch them in bigger traps but I have faith in mine. That popped jaw was more likely from biting than powering out. IMO. Don't think Mark June had many issues with them when he used them and Leggets like them better than Victors for catching coyotes.
wow brian. very shocked it took you so long to respond !

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the info guy's i think when i check in the morning i'm replaceing most of the 13/4 offset jaw with #2 and #3 regulare jaw like i posted earlier not sure it was the trap's fault or mine i'm pulling all of them and gonna turn up the pan tention alittle and see if that help's and i'm gonna bed the new set's alittle farther back from the hole just gonna try what i can to keep from smarting up to many coyote's there smart enought with out me helping them get there degree in avoiding set's

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
?#2 has anyone tryed to file the edge's of sleepycreek's where the lever's lock up to posibly help them lock up better and faster

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did file the jaws on my 1 3/4 sleepy creeks and after checking the line this morning still doesn't help had the jaw ripped right out of the frame that is baseplated and center swiveled by something not sure what no tracks and no fight circle just blood

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mine are for sale or trade
after this morning's check i just went and dropped 275 dollar's on some MB550's and B&L #3's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts