The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Camping out for 2 weeks and need to pick up a couple things. Looking for recommendations for a sleeping pad. Looking for a budget type pad unless convinced otherwise.

Thanks

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing one of the Therm-A-Rest pads. Weight of about 1.2 lb to 2.2 lb. Sleeping is a must so a little extra weight may be worth it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Michaux Hunter said:
I'm looking at purchasing one of the Therm-A-Rest pads. Weight of about 1.2 lb to 2.2 lb. Sleeping is a must so a little extra weight may be worth it.
MH, you need to read the book The Soldiers Load and the Mobility of a Nation. Basically goes through how every added pound (however small it may seem in the big picture) wears on you over a long course of miles/time. Makes you think twice about saying "a little extra weight may be worth it". No, a little extra weight is never worth it over the long haul. You pack smart, and light. Just a suggestion. But hey, I was only in the Marines for 4 years and only did a "couple humps"... Oorah

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I mostly use a 3/4 length therm-a-rest z-lite pad. I have an air pad but it's big and bulky and I don't think it is very comfortable.

Mine is the yellow one.

Here is another shot.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I just bought a Therm-A-Rest 40th Anniversary Edition Sleeping Pad. Hope it's good. I looked at a lot of different ones. It is expensive.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Michaux Hunter said:
It maybe for rent.
I'm also going to use it end of September or beginning October.
Great! I'll have it back just in time for you to use. All broke in and everything. Hate for you to sleep on a new smelling pad. You know how those fumes can be

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
I often packed my down pillow on backpacking trips, especially winter trips, nothing like lying your head down on a familiar pillow. Back in the day, 60 pounds ago, 3 days, 5 days or more as tired as I was I never,ever once thought man I should leave that pillow home next time. On trips i didn't bring it I often wished I had. We were pretty much bare bones, hardcore backpackpackers- lightest stove, tent,where could we shave off ounces, etc, but we all had our "thing" that we made exceptions for. I winter backpacked with a fella that liked to bring OJ with him on the trips, one trip he forgot the frozen OJ so he stopped at a store and bought a gallon of tropicanna in the large orange plastic container. He humped that thing all 5 days, metering it out so he had enough each morning for himself and us if we wanted any. Can't tell you the lengths we needed to go to keep that jug out of the pictures we took, except the last one-which was of the OJ container on a rock at the trails end(before we took it home and disposed of it).........we all have our things, if sleeping comfortable is yours- the extra ounces are more than worth it. Enjoy, Keystonepaul

·
Registered
982 Posts
I keep looking at the ounces but I also look at getting a good night sleep. If you go on multi-day or weeks hikes and don't get good sleep it's going to be a long trip. Also just got all my equipment. As a bonus I also got a free (yea right) pillow.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K, the foam pad was no good for me. Sore spots after a while. Learned to take ibuprofen to ease some pain. Let me sleep longer before I had to shift from laying flat to my side or back again.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Just got done hiking the Black Forest Trail. I carried the Therm-a-rest - Pro Plus LG. It's a little big to carry, but well worth it. Slept very well and that helps a lot.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I've camped out with my son's Boy Scout Troop from the woodlands of Pennsylvania to the tundra of Alaska and a Thermarest has accompanied me. A lot of people will tell you if you use an air mattress you'll get cold on cold nights. Well, all I do in that case is place my space blanket, shiney side up, underneath my thermarest. It will reflect your body heat back up through the air mattress and I've stayed nice and toasty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts