The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on how to skin a skunk? I had my daughter out with me yesterday and we got a nice one with really wide stripes.She was really impressed with it, she never saw one up close like that before.I'm thinking about getting it tanned but have never skinned one. What are the best ways to go about removing the glands and all that without getting stunk up?

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
The pods are large....not quite as large as golf balls...they are located on the sides of the vent....make your vent cut VERY carefully..after that you should be in the clear....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most tanneries won't tan skunks. You might wanna tan it yourself or do some calling around to find one. I caught a coyote a few years back that I wanted to get tanned but the thing smelled just like a skunk and no one would tan it for me.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Moyle's will tan them.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
You can destink.most anything...including a skunk that sprayed or anything else...

Bottle of peroxide, small box of baking soda, good squirt of regular ole hand soap...mix in a 5 gallon bucket with the pelt or whole critter or whatever needs de-funked..slosh around and let sit a few mins...

95% of the time one time is.enough...once in a while a 2nd time is needed....

It works...very well...

Yotes i wash in mild laundry detergent then downy..they fluff up nice and you.wouldnt believe the mud that comes out...they turn a different color..smell better..burrs.comb out easier etc...plus they look better to the buyer...

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Just watch in that if you wash your fur with soap, you can wash out the natural oils that leave the coat shiny. I just wash mine really well in plain old water in a bucket.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Skunk are real easy to flesh and pretty easy to tan, the tails are fragile, though.
Just skinned one today, stink was not too bad. I used a scalpel to carefully cut around the stink sacks.
I tried to kill a different one today with a scalpel on a long pole. Supposedly, you can poke it into the heart/lung area without him spraying, however I missed, and he didn't want a second rodeo, so I shot him, should have recorded the event for funniest trapline videos!

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
I skin then wash...but if i had anything.i dont wanna smell i will wash it first...

Adam is right...the only fur i wash is yotes...and its a tiny splash of woolite...not Dawn or anything crazy...water critters etc do have oils and if you remove then your fur is about worthless...

Most fur buyers frown on using borax...but, do some reading...the guys out west with top lot and high dollar yotes and cats wash their yotes and use borax...some "dry wash" with borax in the fur and no water...ours carry 5lbs of dirt in their fur and IMO need washed...

Drying, snap em a few times..brush em lightly...then brush em every so often...wont take long to get it dry...

You dont wanna put up wet fur...careful of that...

Could be more hassle than.its worth...but i take the extra steps...but i.dont know much or catch much...i do a lot of reading and practice when i can though..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts