The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Hey bud, can't help you with that but, I have question. How did you get the skunk out of the trap without getting any skunky juice on yourownself?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had to deal with this last year after I caught a couple of skunks. Here's my input. Take it for what its worth...
1) Reset the "skunked" trap right where you caught the skunk. Give it a little while for the scent to fade a bit and it WILL produce for ya. I recommend a step-down dirthole remake though. With all that skunk scent around I had a few problems with animals rolling on the trap.. I caught a skunk first night last year, remade the set as I just said and caught two greys there within the next 10 days.. The fox did smell like skunk but that didn't concern me.. Think of all that smell as your "call lure"..
2) If you need to relocate the trap, then it must be boiled (separately...). I tried setting some in my creek for a week or so and it still didn't get all the smell off. Before you boil and re-wax it, a rinse in peroxide, baking soda and dawn dish soap helped to take the "edge" off..
This is what I came up with. Maybe some more experienced guys have a better answer. I hope so...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to remove the skunk i stould back and shot it in the lungs to kill it because i dont skin skunks and a head shot would makes them more because thats the nerves and then there muscles contract and the skunk sprays but they still do spray before you shoot them hence my question. then i left it there till night and removed it by undoing the trap and carrying the skunk with a shovel so i wouldnt get the smell all over me and the ground around it then i found a ground hog hole threw the skunk down the hole and covered it up with dirt. i dont know if this is the proper way or not this is my first year trapping and my first skunk i caught and hopefully my last.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
shooter223 said:
to remove the skunk i stould back and shot it in the lungs to kill it because i dont skin skunks and a head shot would makes them more because thats the nerves and then there muscles contract and the skunk sprays but they still do spray before you shoot them hence my question. then i left it there till night and removed it by undoing the trap and carrying the skunk with a shovel so i wouldnt get the smell all over me and the ground around it then i found a ground hog hole threw the skunk down the hole and covered it up with dirt. i dont know if this is the proper way or not this is my first year trapping and my first skunk i caught and hopefully my last.
Imagine the ground hog being trapped in for a long winter sleep with a dead skunk. That ground hog will want a whole lotta revenge on you!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Dig a giant deep dirthole and stuff the whole skunk down there with some big rocks over top of it. Squirt some fox pee on your backing.

Now I tried the old buried skunk set last season and caught nothing, not even the bobcat that was hanging around. I was hoping for a coyote, and any fox in the neighborhood had to smell it, as well as any raccoon, but nothing was caught. Something did dig the skunk out the first night, carried/dragged it a bit, then left it. Yeah probably a coyote with a full belly and laughing at me...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yes, it should draw the odor off the trap and into the dirt/sand/litter, this method is not to be used on people, dogs, and the like.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
o wow i didnt know an animal would be attracted to a skunk. this is only my first year trapping and this website is teaching me a lot thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was told that the market for a skunk is not worth the time skinning it even though i am just trapping for ''fun''

·
Registered
679 Posts
shooter223 said:
o wow i didnt know an animal would be attracted to a skunk. this is only my first year trapping and this website is teaching me a lot thanks!
Especially as the weather gets colder, skunky smelling lures work well. If you didn't know this then write it down! Skunk essence is a great attractor for just about any furbearer you are going after. I'd go make a set either right where you caught the skunk (if you're gonna use the stinky trap), or I'd go make a set about 15 feet away from where you caught it. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i did remake the set because my cousin said (who has been trapping a while and knows what he is doing) that it would still be alright but i didnt know that it attacted animals!!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i don't know how the fur market is these days. used to be you would get $7 skinned, $1 whole. i sold them whole. back in the late seventies

1 - 20 of 34 Posts