The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a skunk today. Long story short i skinned it out and now have the carcass 1 full gland and one..........ya not pretty. So my question is how do i best utilize the one full gland i have. Do i drain it with a syringe or cut it out whole. do i then put the liquid or gland down a dirthole or use it kinda like a backing. Or do i just pitch the whole thing onto my carcass pile like the rest of the critters.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
You can save the essence...

If you put it all down a hole or near a set you'd likely have poor results... That'd be WAY too powerful....

If you don't make bait/lure you could sell the essence...

Or you could make a cold weather call lure pretty easily...I've heard of guys melting petroleum jelly and mixing in essence and letting it set back up and using that...

Lots to do with a skunk....others should have more info! I haven't messed with them enough to be able to give you specifics...

·
Registered
679 Posts
I use it when it's cold as a call lure. About 3 drops chest high up a tree seems to be plenty. If you use it on the ground I recommend using a very visible dirthole and making sure ALL of it gets down the hole. I only use it as a call lure anymore since it seemed to trigger a lot of rolling for me and traps full of hair mean a smarter critter. That's been my experience anyway..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts