The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my first skunk on the board 2 weeks ago and it's all white on the top with no black stripes? When you go to sell your hid does this effect the price? I tried looking for this but couldn't find anything? Also, I did not do it this time however I received a email from Katz Bros that they are looking for skunk essence and paying by the ounce? Anyone on here collect and sell the essence? Do you have to remove the mustard out of the essence to sell or does it not matter?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don’t think anyone is paying anything for skunk fur right now.
Johnsons Furs in Enola, PA just told me the other day he would pay $20 per ounce for the essence but you have to extract it. He won’t give anything for the glands.

I just got a skunk last week that had a white scalp but his entire body was jet black with no stripes. A little unusual and very cool. Looked like a little black bear with a white hat. I am getting it tanned as a keepsake.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think anyone is paying anything for skunk fur right now.
Johnsons Furs in Enola, PA just told me the other day he would pay $20 per ounce for the essence but you have to extract it. He won’t give anything for the glands.

I just got a skunk last week that had white on top of its head but everything else was jet black. A little unusual and very cool. Looked like a little black bear with a white hat. I am getting it tanned as a keepsake.
Wow, $20 ain't bad since when your skinning it your looking at those full sacks any ways!! Might be something I do next year. Thanks Flint lock!

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
One other thing I forgot to mention, if you still have the glands and don't plan to extract the essence, throw them in the freezer for next season. You can make your own lure or use them as is. To freeze, you can put them in a jar or something like an empty peanut butter container with a screw-on lid and that will contain the odor. Wrap it with some press-n-seal and put it in a zip lock freezer bag and you don't have to worry about it stinking up your freezer. Might need to sneak it in after your wife goes to bed though. :ROFLMAO:

And congrats on the first one by the way. Should have said that before too. Can never forget that "Oh, @#[email protected]!%" feeling when I walked up and saw my first skunk in a dirt hole set that was supposed to catch a fox. I was totally unprepared! A few days later I ended up getting a skunk double (obviously I'm not much of a fox trapper!) and by the end of that ordeal I had learned some quick lessons on how to handle them. I think they're cool animals and easy to skin, so I don't mind catching them once in a while. The fur used to command a high price back in the day too. My grandfather put food on the table during the great depression by trapping and selling skunks, so catching them makes me think of him which makes it a little more special.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah totally agree with that oh #$×! Moment!! I really did not know what I was doing, shot him in the head and got lucky he did not really spray!! I put him in the bed of the truck and took him home. I walked into the house and I dint even get to say " well guess what I caught?" when she looked up and said get out!! Lol it definitely clings to you for a few hours!! I was so nervous skinning it that I was going to hit something I shouldn't but it all turned out good! Wahed it in a 5 gal bucket and dish detergent and wasn't bad at all. Fleahing was really easy and so was boarding. Not a bad experience at all! Not sure I want to deal with them everyday but did not mind it at all! I don't make my own bait so what am I doing without glands? Just throw them down a dirt hole with a little fox urine or what? Sorry for the questions 😅 I have a lot to learn!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
My father trapped skunks back in the 30s or 40s, they also would catch them before the fur was prime and keep them in a chicken house. He said they would get very tame, and you could walk in and feed and water them and they would never spray. He also trapped muskrat, and my grandmother canned it and the way he told it they lived off of it. They also got muskrat carcasses from the fur dealer. I believe the skunks that were all black, except for a dot on their heads were number ones, if I remember right. He talked about catching alot of skunks alive at night, for putting in the chicken coup till they furred up. Said he only got sprayed twice once was trying to get one out from under a car, I do not remember what the other was. He taught me pick them up by the tail and they can not spray, unless they have a hold of something.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yeah totally agree with that oh #$×! Moment!! I really did not know what I was doing, shot him in the head and got lucky he did not really spray!! I put him in the bed of the truck and took him home. I walked into the house and I dint even get to say " well guess what I caught?" when she looked up and said get out!! Lol it definitely clings to you for a few hours!! I was so nervous skinning it that I was going to hit something I shouldn't but it all turned out good! Wahed it in a 5 gal bucket and dish detergent and wasn't bad at all. Fleahing was really easy and so was boarding. Not a bad experience at all! Not sure I want to deal with them everyday but did not mind it at all! I don't make my own bait so what am I doing without glands? Just throw them down a dirt hole with a little fox urine or what? Sorry for the questions 😅 I have a lot to learn!
That's hilarious, my wife did the same thing! When I got the double, one of them sprayed but the other did not so I threw them both in a creek, went to work, then came back that evening and skinned them in the field. That definitely helped to keep the smell away from home. Big mistake I made on the first one was putting it in a trash bag and putting it in the back of SUV to take home and skin. Even though no juice got in the vehicle you could smell it for days. Truth be told I've kinda gotten used to the odor and it really doesn't bother me too much anymore. To me it just smells like strong lure. Family and neighbors would beg to differ.

Anyway, I was given advice that you can drop the entire gland in a dirt hole as an effective attractant for canines. They say once you catch a skunk in a set, that set will become very productive for foxes. I had no such luck, and the dirt hole set I put a gland in didn't produce either. But again, I'm no canine expert so the problem was likely something else. Seems to me that an entire gland might be overkill when you consider that normally you would use just a tiny bit of lure that is made with reduced essence (many lures are). But, it doesn't cost anything to try, and apparently it works for some guys. You could also try using just a little bit of the essence in the hole instead of the entire gland.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good Flint Lock!! Don't know till you try!! I will definitely save those glands the next time! I had no such luck with a catch after I caught that skunk either but it was because nothing was moving through that area. We had about 14" of snow and it shut down. No tracks at that spot for almost 2 weeks later. By then I had pulled my line from there. Always next year!

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Put my first skunk on the board 2 weeks ago and it's all white on the top with no black stripes? When you go to sell your hid does this effect the price?

I received a email from Katz Bros that they are looking for skunk essence and paying by the ounce? Anyone on here collect and sell the essence? Do you have to remove the mustard out of the essence to sell or does it not matter?
L12, Buyers are looking for double stripes on Skunk. The past few years at Pa. fur auctions, Skunk prices range from $8-$12, many auction Skunk averaged more than Fox!
Skunk essence has always been saleable.
Contact your buyer about how he wants his essence. Some don't want the mustard/cheese, some a little bit is ok.

Your pictures, yes...tick marks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buyers are looking for double stripes on Skunk. The past few years at Pa. fur auctions, Skunk prices range from $8-$12, many auction Skunk averaged more than Fox!
Skunk essence has always been saleable.
Contact your buyer about how he wants his essence. Some don't want the mustard, some a little bit is ok.
Thanks Hern, I figured they would want stripes. Well i guess i will just see how much they will give me for it. I will start keeping that essence for sure. I will start getting jars with metal lids for next year.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you can't sell the skunk furs, they make awesome hats.

Skunk Hat

Reactions: Longbeard12
1 - 20 of 20 Posts