The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out shed hunting this afternoon and found the remains of a big 8 pointer. I am gonna attempt to boil and whiten skull. What steps should I take. It still has fur on the skul,do I need to skin it before I boil? Any tips and help would be great. Thanks Dave

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also did a google search on maceration,I don't think I will be able to keep water at correct temp.I would have to bring it inside with a heater and I don't think the wife will go for that! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Thats one of the problems with it this time of year. Other than that, it works well.

Next thing to try short of beetles is to simmer. Bring the water to a boil, then back it down to a simmer. Put some sodium carbonate or sal soda in the water to help break down the meat. Skin it first, that will help immensely. Also, remove as much of the meat, brains and eyes as you can before you begin. Boiling will cook the grease into the skull and can damage the delicate nasal bones. Simmering can also, but not as quickly as boiling. If you have any questions other than that, feel free to contact me through here or my website, I'll help you out.
CT

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huntergoldie that is a nice setup. I bet it smells nice in there! Thanks for the feedback guys,Im gonna let it sit for awile I will post pics. of results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts