The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a skull plate that split down the crease during a move. I am wanting to repair it to hang at camp. Will plaster work? Epoxy?, or will I need materials from a taxidermy supply store? Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have an old rack of my dads that we cut too small many years ago and it split. i used the two-stick mix style epoxy and mixed up a big glob of it and completely encapsulated what was left of the skull and formed the glob into a shape about 4" x 3" and let it dry. once it was done i sanded it and painted it white and drilled it and mounted it. if you used enough epoxy you could rebuild the skull plate completely and then cover it with velvet or something and drill it and screw it into the plaque from the back.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. Epoxy it will be. I'm excited to see how it turns out and anxious to get it to camp. Again thanks.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
This is how I did a split caribou 10 yrs ago. The caribou antlers are going to have a lot more leverage and torque put on the split compared to a deer. With it upside down I put in about a 1/2" layer of epoxy and laid a couple of opposing 3" lag bolts across the split and laid in a piece of brick mesh over it all. Then I took a square tupperware, laid a piece of saran wrap in it for easy removal and not to waste the tupperware, about half filled the tupperware with epoxy and set the skull plate in it. When it hardened I could have ground the epoxy to any shape I wanted but I just left it square. No worries about it breaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts