The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew was lucky enough to connect on a spike buck his first morning ever hunting. It was a great day and one that we'll all remember, but I want to preserve the memory in a nice way for him, so I'm going to do a skull mount of the spike. I've done this on my own before with a decent 6 point I killed a few years back in archery.

My question is, when I did mine, the antlers seemed to work pefectly to hold the skull at the top of the pot and I was able to keep the water level in the pot boiling just to the base of the antlers. That won't be possible with the spike and I'm concerned that submerging the anters in the bioling water may cause some discoloration.

Can anyone confirm if that will cause a problem or not, and if it would, does anyone have any suggestions how to boil the skull and not submerge the antlers?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
You could zip tie a rod/arrow across the antlers to keep them at a certain level, with the rod sitting on the edge of the pot. Getting the antlers into that hot of water may discolor them. If you choose to go that route and they do discolor, a little bit of wood stain make 'em pretty again

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Some taxidermy supply companies sell antler stain which may cost more money, but do the same thing as what ChasinTail recommended.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts