The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rig works really well and keeps your work at the height you feel comfortable. Hit reverse when you are done and the hide rolls right back off. The bottom attaches to the gambrel and goes up out of the way when you are done. Also works well on other critters like coons and yotes.

Sure makes it easy on your hands and back.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Nice skinning shed,concrete looks unstained(till now)Do you have a floor drain? How about a pic of the top of the machine. looks like 2 winches mounted for lift and pull. Very impressive engineering

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I will have some better pics soon. Yes there is a floor drain and a hot and cold water hose. The bottom puller is a modified hoist.

The wall covering is old style mossy oak 1000 denier nylon, we did all the walls in the house with it as well. I found a closeout deal on it, ended up being .53 cents per square foot. Rugged as all get out and cleans with a wet rag.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
That is one great set-up for skinning whatever....Slick!!

Camo'ed walls, hot & cold water, frig and a sound system, too....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the best part is the wife helped me build it! A wife who loves huntin, fishin, guns, camo, wild game, furs, traps, likes to help skin, etc, etc, is priceless! Plus she is a fine cook!

NO, she aint for sale!LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
LLB said:
And the best part is the wife helped me build it! A wife who loves huntin, fishin, guns, camo, wild game, furs, traps, likes to help skin, etc, etc, is priceless! Plus she is a fine cook!

NO, she aint for sale!LOL
Consider yourself one VERY BLESSED man....

·
Registered
384 Posts
LLB, I feel Very Blessed also....My wife is the same and she is priceless... Although my old hunting partner doesn't feel the same.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, ya gotta love a girl like that! Old hunting partner's just have ta get over it! lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yea, love not having to mess up the kitchen. Also putting up the veggies should be a lot easier to.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got commissioned by a local tavern to build one of these for successful hunters to skin their deer out back. Should be a popular draw for hunters that aren't set up well to do their own. Hot water, bags, and ice for the deer as well as good food and ice cold beer for the guys and gals. Gonna be hard to beat! Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Nice set up for a low ceiling.
I have hoist in my fur shed. Plus a skun'n base to pull Coyote & Coon hides.
Must be the first Critter on that machine. Floors is way too clean...lol. I have cardboard on floor and ole carpet under my rig to catch blood. Discard carpet after the season for easy clean up.

How many Coon & Coyote have you done on your rig?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have only done a few Coons and a couple coyotes but have done a bunch of deer and one bear. If I ever get back into serious trapping I would make another attachment for coons and smaller critters. This setup was built mainly for deer but works great for Coyotes as well.

The beauty of this rig is it keeps your knife work at a comfortable level and saves a lot of time and effort.

A good concrete sealer on the floor plus a hot water hose handy works wonders for cleanup.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I agree with a skun'n rig and e-hoist keeps critters at easy work level. Heck, just press a button and up it goes.
More and more Deer Hunters and Trappers are building these rigs as we get older. Even using boat trailer hoist mounted to post in pole barn.
I like the way you made adjustable holes in your gambrel.
Nice job on you skun'n rig.

I don't skun Fox or Deer on my machine. For me, the hides pull off pretty easy by hand. I do cut front and back legs off. I have the rafter height to hoist Deer as I pull or touch with knife, that alone makes it easier. By that, I just hoist Deer up and pull hide down, lift up higher, pull more hide off. No bending over, keeping Deer hoisted to right height.
Am ole and lazy. Only time I lift a Deer is to put it in pickup truck.
Get home. Get tractor.
Slide Deer into bucket. Drive in shed.
Cut off 4 legs. Split front legs. Start back legs.
Place gambrel in back legs. Hook gambrel to hoist.
Press 'up' on switch. Start to skun.
I have e-hoist mounted to rafters.

Coon & Coyote...
I like the vice grips to hold hide. Very fast clamping hide or releasing finished hide. No fusing with loop or ball. Every minute counts in the fur shed.
Coon and Coyote peal like a Banana.

Here's my skun'n base after I finished painting...
This base could be made wider if someone wanted to use it for Deer only.

cement anchors are used to bolt base down.
ready for another Coyote...

and another...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts