The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys like to use for your skinning knife? Post a pic please im just curios what everyone out there is using. Thanks

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
depends what i'm skinning. for beaver i like a rounded blade skinning knife but for most everything else i use cheap dollar store parring knifes. they sharped up quick with a pull or two through a v type sharpener.

·
Administrator
15,223 Posts
bobcat said:
depends what i'm skinning. for beaver i like a rounded blade skinning knife but for most everything else i use cheap dollar store parring knifes. they sharped up quick with a pull or two through a v type sharpener.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Rapala small fillet knife and schrade two blade pocket knife. Done hundreds of furbearers between the two of them.
Sharp doesn't need to be expensive....although I would like to try a Dunn knife

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I have havalons....use em for pretty much everything...when i am coon hunting and skinning in the woods, its a lot easier for me to swap blades than sharpen or carry multiple knives etc...

Blades arent bad especially if you buy 100...

·
Registered
932 Posts
I use Case trappers, Old Timers, Buck, and the older two or three blade Swiss Army knife. The older Swiss Knives seem to have better steel and with the thin blade was easy to get a real sharp edge.

Can some one post a pic of this Havalon with a tape measure beside it.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Smith i just opened mine...handle is a half inch or so longer than my middle finger...60xt blade about 1/4" shorter than middle finger

The other blades are smaller than the 60 i believe...i have a variety's but the 60xt is my go to blade...

My other one with the orange plastic handle is a little bigger..longer and wider...the one i have in my hand now has an aluminum handle and rubber insert...

I also have a scalpel handle that takes the blades....i do a lot more pulling than knife work when skinning...but if i did a lot of knife work id probably use the scalpel handle and one of the smaller blades...

Need to look into other blade sources....see what else is available and prices...

·
Banned
851 Posts
I also use Havalon's. I don't think you could ask for a better skinning knife. They are so sharp. I can do 5-6 coons easily on one blade, and replacement blades are pretty cheap.

PA Waterfowler

1 - 17 of 17 Posts